Filters
2052 records match your search. Use the filters to refine your results. Using data FAQs.
Open filters
Emsworth Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q113086315
- Instance of:
- museum; independent museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 524
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113086315/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Local and Social History
The collections relate to the life and village of Emsworth in the 19th and 20th centuries and include objects and items of local interest with 50 fine art items, 200 costume and textiles, 1500 social history, 50 agriculture, 50 archaeology, 1250 maritime, 200 personalia, 50 transport, 500 oral history, 50 archives and 1000 photographs. The collections include items relating to the fishing industry, oyster fishing, boat building, sea-faring families, coastal trade in grain and coal and watermills supplying the Royal Navy with flour.
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
Englesea Brook Chapel and Museum of Primitive Methodism
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q17361845
- Also known as:
- Methodist Chapel And Sunday School, Englesea Brook Chapel and Museum
- Instance of:
- museum; chapel; independent museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 131
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q17361845/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Social History Collection
The collection includes items associated with founders of the movement – Hugh Bourne and William Clowes, in addition to ephemera including posters, cards, certificates and circuit plans, the 1828 pipe Organ (the first one to be used in a Primitive Methodist Chapel), an 1821 printing press used by the movement and a pulpit made by one of the Pioneers from a chest of drawers.
Subjects
Social History
Ethnography Collection
African material brought back by missionaries.
Subjects
Ethnography
Fine Art Collection
Portraits in oil.
Subjects
Fine Art
Costume and Textile Collection
Costume.
Subjects
Costume and Textile
Medals Collection
Medals and medallions.
Subjects
Medals
Photographic Collection
Photographs of people, places and events.
Subjects
Photographic equipment
Archives Collection
Letters and chapel deed.
Subjects
Archives
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
English Heritage
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q936287
- Responsible for:
- 1066 Battle of Hastings, Battle Abbey and Battlefield; Aldborough Roman Town; Audley End; Beeston Castle; Boscobel House; Brodsworth Hall; Byland Abbey; Chesters Roman Fort; Corbridge Roman Site Museum; Dover Castle; Down House; Eltham Palace; Furness Abbey Museum; Gainsborough Old Hall; Great Yarmouth Row Houses; Hailes Abbey; Helmsley Castle; Housesteads Roman Fort; Kenwood House (Iveagh Bequest); Lindisfarne Priory; Marble Hill House; Old Merchants House; Osborne House; Pendennis Castle; Portchester Castle; Rangerʼs House; Richmond Castle Museum; Rievaulx Abbey; Wall Roman Site and Museum (Letocetum Site and Museum); Walmer Castle; Whitby Abbey; Wroxeter Roman Site and Museum
- Also known as:
- English Heritage Trust
- Instance of:
- charitable organization; publisher; private company limited by guarantee
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q936287/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection history (Collection development policy)
The object collections have been brought together over a period of 125 years.
The origin of the collections can be traced back to the Office of Works and reflects the creation of the national collection of buildings and monuments. The first property to come into Guardianship was Kit’s Coty House in 1883, this and other early acquisitions came with no objects and neither did the work at the time generate any through excavation. The first site to come into Guardianship with collections was Carisbrooke, which had become the responsibility of the Office of Works by 1896 bringing with it guns and some other objects. This was followed in 1901 by the Pyx Chamber at Westminster Abbey which was transferred to the Office of Works along with its cope chests.
Osborne House was given to the nation in 1902 and opened to the public in 1904. The majority of the collection has always been on long-term loan from the Royal Collection. Management of Osborne and its collection was retained by the Department of the Environment (DoE) between 1984 and 1986. In 1904 Walmer Castle was transferred from the War Office, its contents were given by Lord Curzon (the then Lord Warden) in 1905. Other castles were transferred from the War Office from this time onwards. Once standing buildings became part of the collection, architectural material entered the collection as a result of site clearance, consolidation and repair work. Richborough Roman Fort was acquired in 1912, leading to important archaeological collections resulting from Bushe-Fox’s 1923–38 excavations. Langley Chapel and its furniture came into Guardianship in 1914.
Between the wars, a programme of major site clearances at ruined abbeys resulted in major additions to the collections, for example Rievaulx, Whitby and Byland Abbeys. In1933 Corbridge Roman Site was acquired together with the collections of the Corbridge Excavation Fund (from their 1906 -14 excavations) on a long-term loan. Later excavation campaigns in 1933 -73 and 1980 have added significantly to the Corbridge Collections.
In 1940 the Office of Works became the Ministry of Works and Buildings, in 1942 the Ministry of Works of Planning and then form 1943 the Ministry of Works.
The Ministry of Works took responsibility for the Great Hall of Eltham Palace in 1944 and there are archaeological collections from excavations undertaken there in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1995 English Heritage took over management of the remainder of the site. Wrest Park was acquired in 1946 and, apart from the statuary and garden buildings, was leased to the National Institute of Agricultural Engineering who were required to open the gardens to the public. English Heritage took over the house when the institute closed in 2006.
Wroxeter Roman Town was acquired in 1947 and the site produced large archaeological collections from subsequent excavations by Graham Webster from 1955 -85 and Philip Barker in 1966 -90. In 1949 Audley End House was purchased, its collections were initially all on loan, however, over half have since been purchased or donated.
1952 saw the acquisition of Aldborough Roman Town including its existing museum, followed in 1954 by Chesters Roman Fort with its museum (which ad first opened in 1903) leased from, and with the collections on loan from the Trustees of the Clayton Collection. Chiswick House was acquired in 1956 although its collections have been gradually built up since then. In 1959 Cobham Hall was acquired with some of its contents. The hall was repaired and sold in 1963; however, the contents remained as part of the collection, some being placed on loan with the new owners of Cobham.
In 1966, the Alexander Keiller Museum was given to the nation. Heveningham Hall and its contents were acquired in 1969 and the house was repaired and sold in 1977 with the majority of the contents remaining as part of the collection. Also, in 1969, responsibility for monuments in Wales and Scotland along with their respective collections was transferred to the Welsh and Scottish Offices. In 1970, the Ministry of Works was absorbed into the new DoE.
Wharram Percy deserted medieval village was acquired in 1972 with the archive of over 110,000 finds from the 1950 -90 excavations transferred to English Heritage from Hull Museums and the West Yorkshire Archaeological Service in 2014.
In 1973 an Assistant Inspector of Ancient Monuments was appointed with specific responsibility for the collections, later becoming Curator of Archaeology. In 1981 a Curator of Works of Arts was appointed. In 1983 a curator was appointed with specific responsibility for the Hadrian’s Wall museums.
1984 saw the creation of the Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission of England (HBMCE but universally known as English Heritage) and the Royal Armouries, at which point all guns belonging to DoE, including those on sites to be managed by HBMCE, were transferred to the Royal Armouries. Hampton Court, the Tower of London, Kensington Palace and other historic royal palaces remained with DoE. In the early 1990s HBMCE transferred its collections relating to these sites to the Historic Royal Palaces Agency(created in 1989).
On the abolition of the Greater London Council(GLC) in 1986, three houses and their collections were transferred to English Heritage: Kenwood House with the Iveagh Bequest, Marble Hill House and Ranger’s House with the Suffolk Collection. In addition to this the Architectural Study Collection was also acquired from the GLC. This had been begun by the Historic Buildings branch of the Architects Department of the London County Council in 1902 when they began collecting parts of demolished buildings which were then transferred to the GLC in 1969.
Sir David Wilson’s review in 1988 resulted in a programme of moving collections stored locally on sites, often in unsuitable conditions, into appropriate stores. It also saw an acceleration of the programme of documenting the collections and creating finding lists and catalogues.
Brodsworth Hall was acquired by English Heritage in 1990 including its contents with financial support from the National Heritage Memorial Fund. In 1996 Down House and its collections (originally opened as a museum by the British Association for the Advancement of Science in 1928) were acquired with funding from the Wellcome Trust.
In 2002, a 125-year loan of the Wernher Collection was agreed for Ranger’s House. In 2004, responsibility for Apsley House and its collections was transferred to English Heritage from the DoE. The JW Evans Silver Works, Birmingham and its contents were purchased in 2008.
In 2015, management of the collections was transferred from the HBMCE to the newly formed English Heritage Trust (which continues to be known by the name English Heritage), a charitable trust independent of Government. Full details of this arrangement are set out in the Property Licence and Operating Agreement (PLOA).
Between 2015 and 2021, Historic England and English Heritage have benefited from several additions to the collection through the Acceptance in Lieu scheme and the Cultural Gifts scheme. In 2020, management of Gainsborough Old Hall was transferred to English Heritage from Lincolnshire County Council along with the related collections.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2022
Licence: CC BY-NC
-
Collection overview (Collection development policy)
The collections managed by English Heritage total over 850,000 objects. They range from prehistoric finds to pieces of contemporary art. The majority of the collections are associated in some way with the properties in the care of English Heritage or with a property formerly in the care of English Heritage or a predecessor organisation.
Around 69% of the collections are archaeological in nature, a further 17% is books or archives with 10% being social or industrial history, 3% decorative arts, 0.5% natural history, 0.4% fine art and 0.1% ethnography. Around 13% of the objects in the collection are currently on display. While small in number the fine art collections comprise some of the most significant and valuable objects. In addition to the accessioned collections English Heritage occasionally acquires historic objects for use as props within specific sites; these items are not accessioned into the permanent collections and their use is governed by a separate policy document.
In broad terms the collections comprise:
- Archaeological archives from excavations and other interventions on English Heritage properties;
- Architectural material removed during clearance work, consolidation, repair or maintenance at English Heritage properties;
- Historic contents, including art, furniture, books, social history, natural history and arms, associated with English Heritage properties;
- Historic material similar to that which would have been present at an English Heritage property;
- Fine art and furniture acquired for display at specific English Heritage properties (including the Iveagh Bequest and the Suffolk Collection);
- Contemporary art acquired or commissioned for display at specific English Heritage properties;
- Material relating to the history of the display and maintenance of English Heritage properties;
- Archive material relating to owners, occupiers and workers at English Heritage properties;
- Oral history relating to the use of English Heritage properties by owners, occupiers, workers and visitors.
As well as these English Heritage also manages a number of collections that are not related to the properties:
- The Architectural Study Collection;
- A collection of architectural material salvaged from Great Yarmouth;
- The Wernher Collection of decorative art; collected by Julius Wernher. This collection is on long term loan to English Heritage from the Wernher Trustees. Due to the specific nature of the loan agreement this policy does not apply to the Wernher Collection.
English Heritage is responsible for a number of sites that contain historic working machinery; these include J.W. Evans, Stott Park Bobbin Mill and Sibsey Trader Windmill. In addition to this English Heritage manages, and occasionally operates, several firearms and musical instruments which are accessioned as objects within the permanent collection. English Heritage acknowledges that there can be benefits derived from operating historic machinery and equipment including increased public engagement and regular maintenance but also that operating historic machinery and equipment can pose a risk to the objects themselves through wear and tear, accident and breakage.
The decision to operate historic machinery or equipment will be taken on a case by case basis and with full consultation with curators, conservators and external specialists where appropriate. The benefits to the public in terms of engagement will always be weighed against any potential risks both to the operator and to the item in question. Where the decision has been taken to operate a piece of historic machinery or equipment it will be done so in line with all necessary legislative requirements relative to that item. All legislative requirements will be fully documented and the relevant documentation lodged with Registry.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2022
Licence: CC BY-NC
Epping Forest District Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q85830479
- Instance of:
- local museum; local authority museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 1474
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q85830479/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Archaeology
Evidence of human settlement and activity from the Palaeolithic through to the present day. Significant excavation archives are: The Town Mead Hoard (Iron Age); Abridge Villa (Roman); Nazeing Hoard (Saxon) and Waltham Abbey Church (Medieval and Post-Medieval.
Fine and Decorative Art
Police uniforms, wedding dresses and christening robes are well represented in the costume collection. In addition, there is a small collection of fashion accessories, including fans and jewellery. The small textile collection includes samplers, banners and lace. The collections include a wide variety of visual and applied art- paintings, prints, sketchbooks, sculpture and ceramics. Either the artist or the subject matter has a connection with the historic county of Essex. Significant collections of work by Walter Spradbery and Haydn Mackey.;Small collection of ethnography from Asia and Africa, collected by the Buxton Family of Warlies in Waltham Abbey.
Photography
The museum holds a collection of approximately 5,000 photographs of the district, including the Francis Frith Collection and the Waltham Abbey Historical Society Collection.
Archives
The Police Archives contains photographs as well as documents. The most significant item in the museum archive collection is the Waltham Abbey Bible from c.1200. The museum holds an extensive archive of local newspapers covering most of the 20th century, a comprehensive set of maps of the area, including the 1897 and 1923 series of Ordnance Survey maps, and printed ephemera such as letter heads and property details, from the 19th and 20th centuries. There is an extensive archive relating to local policing from 1800 to 2001. “The Police Archives held by Epping Forest District Museum includes material from the Waltham Abbey Police Historical Collection and the Waltham Abbey Historical Society. Together they document the story of policing from 1800-2001. The collections include a large photographic and documentary archive covering the Metropolitan Police from 1820 -2000. Areas covered include Abridge, Bethnal Green, Chadwell Heath, Cheshunt, Chigwell, Claybury, Chingford, Dalston, Enfield, Epping, Hackney, Leyton, Leytonstone, Loughton, Nazeing, Waltham Abbey, Walthamstow, Wanstead and Woodford.
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
Epping Forest Visitor Centre
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q125566321
- Also known as:
- The View (Epping Forest Collection)
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 2348
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q125566321/
- Collection level records:
- Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.
Epworth Old Rectory
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q5384063
- Also known as:
- Old Rectory, Epworth, Epworth Old Rectory, The Old Rectory, The Old Rectory, Rectory Street, Epworth Rectory
- Instance of:
- clergy house; historic house museum; independent museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 2039
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5384063/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection history (Collection development policy)
Epworth Old Rectory was, from 1709 to 1735, the family home of Samuel and Susanna Wesley and their 19 children (10 of whom survived into adulthood), including John and Charles Wesley, founders of Methodism.
The Rectory is a Queen Anne Grade 1 Listed Building which had a number of extensions during the early 19th century, all of which were later demolished. Some outbuildings were added in the late 19th and 20th centuries. The property still retains over 3 acres of glebe land – referred to by the Wesleys as ‘the Croft’ – in addition to formal gardens.
The building continued to be used by the Church of England as a rectory for the parish of St. Andrew’s until 1954 when it was bought by the British Methodist Church with strong support from the World Methodist Council. It was then opened in 1957 to the general public as a museum dedicated to the life and times of John and Charles Wesley, and their family.
A collection of historical objects, ceramics, paintings, prints, period furniture and other “Wesleyana” has grown over the years, with a library of books and documents connected with the Wesleys being donated to the museum in the 1980s.
In December 2009, the Rectory was first awarded full accreditation status with the Museums, Libraries and Archives Council. Our Accreditation was further re-awarded in 2014. EOR is in the process of submitting a renewal application, renewing accreditation status, in Autumn 2019.
In 2015, EOR became the specified repository for objects pertaining to the women’s movements within the Methodist Church.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2022
Licence: CC BY-NC
-
Collection overview (Collection development policy)
Items belonging to John, Charles, Susanna or Samuel Wesley and other members of the family, including furniture, letters, and personal possessions.
Items relating to the history of Methodism including notable Methodists, events, organisations and general history including:
- Archives
- Books
- Ceramics – reflecting the history of Methodism and world-wide Methodism
- Costume
- Paintings
- Prints
- Paper based ephemera
- Photographs
The Methodist Women’s Collection, the purpose of which is to illustrate how women and women’s groups from the late 17th century to the present have driven forward the Methodist movement, describing their organisational character and development, and exemplifying this with the stories of individuals and their objects. The scope of this collection includes the following:
- Connexional (or Connexionally-significant) artefacts relating to the history of the women’s movement in Methodism from the late 17th century to present, such as from the following organisations:
- Women’s Work
- Women’s Fellowship
- Women’s World Federation (latterly World Federation of Methodist and Uniting Church Women)
- Women’s Network
- Young Wives
- Girls League
- Methodist Women in Britain
- District or Circuit artefacts, for example, District banners that once formed a Connexion-wide campaign display, banners, souvenirs, badges of office and Presidential insignia
- Artefacts from individuals that uniquely characterise what it is or was tbe a woman within the movement
- Personal testimony manuscripts
- Presentation/goodwill gifts
- Archive material
- Photographs
- Paper based ephemera
- Souvenirs
- Lockets containing locks of hair from women prominent in the Methodist Society
The Gwyron Aston Library currently contains 3847 books
Supporting collections:
- Furniture and artefacts to enable the interpretation of the house to the period when the Wesleys lived here (1709 – 1735), including both period and replica pieces
- Handling artefacts for reminiscence, sensory and children’s use
- Currently there are 3789 accessioned artefacts in the EOR collections
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2022
Licence: CC BY-NC
Erasmus Darwin House
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q5384953
- Instance of:
- historic house museum; independent museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 2111
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5384953/
- Collection level records:
- Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.
Erddig
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q5385260
- Also known as:
- Erddig Hall
- Part of:
- National Trust
- Instance of:
- country house
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 1615
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5385260/
- Collection level records:
- Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.
Erewash Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q5385730
- Also known as:
- Erewash Museum and Gardens
- Instance of:
- local museum; local authority museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 781
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5385730/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Social History Collection
Collection contains a diverse range of personal and domestic artefacts. In general they relate to everyday life, but are not all unique to the Erewash region. Strongest in domestic bygones, in particular kitchen and laundry equipment. Additional strengths are children’s toys and dolls. Active collecting in areas of employment, recreation, religion, the family and family life – all items to have strong local significance. Local history collections include all material which has direct link with Erewash area. Existing collections are strongest in respect of the development of local government in Ilkeston and Long Eaton. Policy of active collecting to represent areas outside Ilkeston; trades, industries and transport; minority groups in the community. Local interest and significance
Subjects
Community; Trades (occupations); Domestic life; Leisure; Local government; Transport; Religion; Family; Employment; Social history; Toys; Industry
Fine Art Collection
Local significance. Collection contains Howitt Bequest of paintings; largely 18th century oils and watercolours. Also works by local artists, many topographical scenes. Future collecting limited to Erewash scenes, and passive collection of work by notable artists. Similar policies apply to photographic art.
Subjects
Watercolour painting; Fine arts; Paintings
Decorative and Applied Arts Collection
Collection of decorative art and ceramics. Policy is only to acquire items of local history interest, e.g. pottery manufactured by the West Hallam Art and Earthenware Co. Ltd. Local significance.
Subjects
Ceramics; Decorative arts
Geology Collection
Local significance. Collection may acquire specimens of local rocks and minerals to complement local history collections, e.g. coal mining, brick and pottery ironstone/gravel/sand extraction and quarrying.
Subjects
Quarrying; Geology; Building materials; Mining; Coal mining; Minerals
Agriculture Collection
Small collection of agricultural items. Local interest.
Subjects
Agriculture
Archaeology Collection
Local significance. Small collection of objects. Not policy to acquire except for locally-provenanced chance finds.
Subjects
Archaeology
Costume and Textiles Collection
Costume and costume accessories. Further acquisition limited to selected, locally-manufactured items. Local significance.
Subjects
Textiles; Costume
Science and Industry Collection
Local significance. Collections include material relating to local industries.
Subjects
Trade (practice); Science; Industry
Photography Collection
Local history collections include photographs. Local significance.
Subjects
Photographs; Photography
Oral History Collection
Local significance. A collection of recordings related to local people and local history. Active policy towards recording.
Subjects
Oral history; Recordings; Local history
Transport Collection
Collections include relevant transport related material. Policy to collect objects that illustrate nature and scale of local transport, and working conditions therein, with cautious approach to large objects. Local significance.
Subjects
Transport; Employment
Archives Collection
Local significance. Local history collections include printed ephemera.
Subjects
Printed ephemera; Local history; Archives
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
Essex Collection of Art from Latin America
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q116738925
- Instance of:
- university museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 1932
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q116738925/
- Collection level records:
- Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.
Essex Fire Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q85831650
- Instance of:
- firefighting museum; local authority museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 2274
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q85831650/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection history (Collection development policy)
The museum collects objects relating to the history and development of Essex County Fire and Rescue Service (ECFRS) and its predecessors. This includes private brigades (e.g., stately homes, works brigades) and former local district and borough brigades within Essex boundaries (including those transferred to the London Fire Brigade in 1965). After 1965, these brigades’ histories are covered by the London Fire Brigade Museum, although the museum may still display relevant items for context.
The museum’s primary objective is to record firefighting history in Essex. However, material from outside Essex may be considered if it is historically relevant or enhances the overall story. Unusual or novelty fire-related items may also be considered to engage visitors.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2025
Licence: CC BY-NC
-
Collection overview (Collection development policy)
The collections range from the 1800’s to the present day, covering firefighting during the Victorian era, both World Wars, and post-war developments. They can be considered under the following headings:
Archives
Extensive records include manuals, photographs, training notes, maps, and firefighters’ service histories.
Artwork
Models of firefighting equipment and fire engines illustrate equipment construction and usage.
Equipment
Objects include hoses, branches, nozzles, fire extinguishers, corridor pumps, and manual pumps—essentially “small gear.” It also encompasses personal protective equipment such as uniforms, helmets, and chemical protection suits.
Working Collection
This mainly consists of (non-roadworthy) fire engines maintained at the museum. One vehicle (a 1960s Turntable Ladder Fire Engine) is serviced by ECFRS workshops and used for firefighter funerals and outreach. A separate policy (appendix of the Care and Conservation Policy) governs these working objects. The museum also has a set of objects specifically for loan boxes, which can be handled without risk to the main collection.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2025
Licence: CC BY-NC
Essex Police Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q50841482
- Instance of:
- police museum; independent museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 2053
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q50841482/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Objects, photographs, documents and records relating to the history of policing in Essex since 1836. Includes service records of officers who have served in the Essex County Constabulary of the Southend Borough Police, photographs of police vehicles and officers and examples of police equipment. Service records of officers who served in the Essex County Constabulary and Southend Borough Police and other archival material relating to specific cases. Photographs and lantern slides of police vehicles and officers. Uniforms from the Essex Police, Essex County Constabulary and Southend Borough Police.
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
Essex Regiment Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q50413638
- Part of:
- Chelmsford City Museum
- Instance of:
- regimental museum; independent museum; military museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 580
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q50413638/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Military
The Essex Regiment Museums adjoins the Chelmsford Museum in Oaklands Park. A cannon from Sebastopol is displayed outside. Photographs, personalia, regimental silver, uniforms, weaponry, regimental colours and medals and decorations won by members of the Essex Regiment.; Medals won by Essex men including four Victoria Cross winners; The collections represent the history of the Essex regiment from 1741 to the modern Royal Anglian Regiment. The museum has a surname database of servicemen and women from the county of Essex available by appointment to family historians. The museum is managed as part of the Chelmsford and Essex Museum.
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q5401727
- Instance of:
- art museum; independent museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 1670
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5401727/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Fine Art Collection
The Estorick Collection brings together important works created by Italian artists during the first half of the twentieth century and is Britain’s only gallery devoted to modern Italian art. It is best known for its core group of Futurist works. (Founded in 1909 by the poet F T Marinetti, Futurism remains Italy’s most significant contribution to 20th century European culture. Marinetti wanted to break with the oppressive weight of Italy’s cultural heritage and develop an aesthetic based on modern life and technology. He soon attracted the support of the young Milanese painters Umberto Boccioni, Carlo Carr and Luigi Russolo, who extended his ideas to the visual arts; they were joined in 1910 by the painters Gino Severini and Giacomo Balla. The acknowledged Futurist masterpieces of the collection are drawn from this pioneering period (1909-16) and include Boccioni’s Modern Idol, Carr’s Leaving the Theatre, Russolo’s Music, Severini’s The Boulevard and Balla’s The Hand of the Violinist. Amongst other major artists in the collection are Amedeo Modigliani, who is represented by a fine series of drawings and the late oil portrait of Dr Franois Brabander; Giorgio de Chirico, founder of Metaphysical Art, who exerted a profound influence on the Surrealists, is represented by two important early works, Melanconia and The Revolt of the Sage. There is a large number of paintings and drawings by Mario Sironi and Massimo Campigli. Sironi was briefly affiliated with Futurism, but in the 1920s went on to become the leading artist of the Novecento movement during the Fascist era. Campigli’s painting was strongly influenced by Etruscan art. His painterly vision and friendship with Estorick means that his works hold a special place in the collection, as do those of Zoran Music, whose atmospheric landscapes were inspired by his travels in Italy and Dalmatia. Estorick also knew Giorgio Morandi during the early 1950s and the collection contains a series of still life and landscape etchings and drawings which span the artist’s entire career. A number of sculptors are also represented in the collection, including Medardo Rosso, whose wax and plaster sculpture Impressions of the Boulevard: Woman with a Veil (1893) is the earliest work on display. On the death of Rodin in 1917 Rosso was hailed as ‘the greatest living sculptor’ by the French writer and critic Apollinaire. The collection also contains works by Emilio Greco, Giacomo Manz and Marino Marini, the latter two artists being largely credited with bringing about the rebirth of Italian sculpture in the twentieth century.
Subjects
Futurism; Twentieth century; Fine Art
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
Etches Collection
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q39045477
- Also known as:
- The Etches Museum, The Museum of Jurassic Marine Life
- Instance of:
- museum; national museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum; Designated collection
- Accreditation number:
- 2405
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q39045477/
- Collection level records:
- Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.
Etruria Industrial Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q12057313
- Also known as:
- Etruscan Bone Mill, Etruscan Bone Mill, Etruria
- Instance of:
- industry museum; local authority museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q12057313/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Science and Industry Collection
The two principal industrial exhibits are the beam engine ‘Princess’ (c.1820), and the associated Cornish boiler of about 1903, fitted as a replacement of the original Cornish boiler in 1989. The collections consist of the machinery and other material associated with bone and flint milling. Designated.
Subjects
Industry and Commerce; Science and Industry; Potteries
Social History Collection
The collections focus on material associated with bone and flint milling. Canal-side crafts and trades are also represented. These collections are part of those managed by the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery, and support the central purpose of the site. Designated.
Subjects
People (society); Social History; Potteries; People
Photographic Collection
Photography material related to the theme of the museum. Designated.
Subjects
Photography
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC
Exeter City
Football Club Museum
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q113370321
- Also known as:
- ECFC Museum
- Instance of:
- museum; sport museum; football museum
- Accreditation number:
- T 649
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113370321/
- Collection level records:
- Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.
Experience Barnsley
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q50826592
- Also known as:
- Barnsley Museum, Barnsley Archive and Local Studies, Experience Barnsley Museum and Discovery Centre
- Part of:
- Barnsley Museums
- Instance of:
- museum; archive; local authority museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 2408
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q50826592/
- Collection level records:
- Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.
Explosion Museum of Naval Firepower
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q5421422
- Also known as:
- Explosion! Museum of Naval Firepower, Explosion Museum
- Part of:
- National Museum of the Royal Navy
- Instance of:
- military museum; national museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 2124
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5421422/
- Collection level records:
- Yes, see National Museum of the Royal Navy
Eyam Museum
(collection-level records)
- Wikidata identifier:
- Q5422569
- Instance of:
- local museum; independent museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 562
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5422569/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection history (Collection development policy)
The origin of the Museum collection was the personal collection of Clarence Daniel which was bequeathed to the Museum in 1989. The bequest consisted of 2,400 items.
This has been added to by bequests of a library of books by the late John Clifford in 2013, and a number of geological artefacts donated by John Beck. Additional items have been donated to the Museum by a number of current and previous village residents or their descendants and accepted in line with the Museum’s Collections Development Policy at the time.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2023
Licence: CC BY-NC
-
Collection overview (Collection development policy)
The Collection consists of the following:
- 17th Century pieces relating to the Plague outbreak of 1665/6.
- Nearly 300 artefacts, mainly 18th & 19th century, relating to the local lead mining industry.
- More than 600 minerals, rocks, and fossils, mainly of local origin.
- Local archaeological material includes 237 stone and flint tools and flakes, a large number of pottery fragments, 192 clay pipes, Roman artefacts including jewellery, and 129 coins, medals and tokens.
- More than 800 documents, mainly concerned with local history.
- More than 600 books regarding local history, 17th century history and the history of plague.
- More than 1000 photographs and postcards, mainly of local people and places past and present.
- 121 items relating to local silk and shoe industries (tools, manufactured goods etc).
- 46 engravings, drawings, and paintings, including water colours and sketches by Clarence Daniel.
- The remainder is made up of china (80 items), domestic items (58), and items of general interest which were collected by Clarence Daniel over many years.
The total number of items in the collection at 19 July 2023 is 5060.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2023
Licence: CC BY-NC
Collection-level records
History
Some Accredited museums (or multi-site services covering a number of museums) have shared with MDS a brief history of the collections in their care. These collection histories mostly come from the museums’ collection development policies, though they are no longer a mandatory section of the policies required by the Museum Accreditation Scheme.
Collection Overview
Accredited museums (or multi-site services covering a number of museums) are required to have a collection development policy that includes a brief overview of the scope and strengths of the collections in their care. Collection overviews are an incredibly useful starting point for anyone who wants to navigate the nation’s museum holdings, and we are very grateful to all those museums that have shared their overviews with MDS. In some cases, we have included overviews from a legacy dataset called ‘Cornucopia’.
CloseObject records in MDS
This figure is the number of datasets currently in MDS, rather than the number of museums. This is because some datasets come from multi-site services. For example, Norfolk Museum Service has contributed a single dataset, but this includes records about items held in the service’s eleven branch museums. On our Object search landing page, you can see the number of Accredited museums represented in these datasets.
CloseMuseum/collection status
Accredited Museum
These museums meet the nationally-agreed standards of the UK Museum Accreditation Scheme run by Arts Council England, Museums Galleries Scotland, NI Museums Council and the Welsh Government. In the case of multi-site services, the individual branch museums are Accredited, but the overarching service is usually not. Eg Yorkshire Museums Trust is responsible for three Accredited museums, but is not itself Accredited.
Designated Collection
The Designation Scheme, run by Arts Council England, recognises cultural collections of outstanding importance held in non-national museums, libraries and archives across England. There are over 160 Designated collections, but only the museum ones are included in our database here.
Recognised Collection
The Museums Galleries Scotland Recognition Scheme includes more than fifty Recognised Collections of National Significance, some spread across more than one museum. Here we count the number of museums containing parts of those collections, which is why the figure displayed here is higher than that quoted on the MGS website. There is currently no equivalent scheme for Wales or Northern Ireland.
Close