Skip to content

Filters

  • Results per page

2052 records match your search. Use the filters to refine your results. Using data FAQs.

Open filters

Fife Cultural Trust

(collection-level records)

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The collections managed by the Trust and owned by Fife Council, were brought together in 1996 from three former District Council Museums services within Fife. In 1998 Fife Council additionally took on responsibility for Methil Heritage Centre and its collection.

    In October 2012 Fife Cultural Trust (OnFife) was established. The Trust delivers Museum, Library, Archive, Theatre and Arts services on behalf of Fife Council in accordance with a Services Agreement, for a management fee. Fife Council retains ownership of buildings and collections, including the museum collections covered by this policy.

    Also in 2012 a new collections management system (EMu) was acquired and has now become a core tool for assisting with management and care of museum collections, as well as access to information and images. This system is updated to remain consistent, robust and responsive to changing digital needs in the sector and for public access.

    In 2017 a new Collections Centre was set up at Bankhead in Glenrothes through capital investment. Having previously been dispersed over six museum stores across Fife, the majority of the museum collections are now stored there. The museum objects are stored together with the Archive collection managed by the Trust. This has enabled greatly improved collections care management and public access for research, learning and enjoyment.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Trust has responsibility for the stewardship and development of Museum collections in the ownership of Fife Council.

    The Museum collections comprise over 119,000 artefacts, photographs, documents, specimens and works of art. (The breakdown of numbers of items in the collections listed below are those recorded on our museum management system EMu in November 2023.)

    These form a major part of the social and cultural heritage of Fife and include material that is important locally, nationally and internationally.

    ARCHAEOLOGY

    Number of items: 18,201

    The Trust manages a significant collection of Fife material, particularly strong in pre-history, including material transferred in 1988 from the University of St Andrews Department of Archaeology. Examples are Bronze Age food vessels and cinerary urns, flint arrowheads, stone axeheads and rare jet necklaces.

    In 2022 a collaborative project with the University of Glasgow, Greener Kirkcaldy and the Kirkcaldy Old Kirk Trust led to a programme of community events commemorating the archaeological dig on Kirkcaldy High Street in the 1980s. A food vessel from the dig was conserved as part of this project. Ongoing research is enhancing our knowledge of this discovery.

    The small medieval collection features important medieval pilgrim badges discovered since 1998. In recent decades most archaeological acquisitions have been made through the Treasure Trove process, with finds being allocated through the Scottish Archaeological Finds Allocation Panel (SAFAP) at National Museums Scotland (NMS). Many small metal finds discovered by metal detectorists have been purchased through Treasure Trove in this way.

    ARCHIVES

    Number of items: 19,763

    The Museum collections managed by the Trust includes an archive of various types of paper documents, maps and plans that relate to local people, industries and organisations, dating mainly from the 19th and 20th centuries. Included are books from Adam Smith’s library, archives from Douglas & Grant (Kirkcaldy engineers) and the 1980s coal mining strike. Also included are records from the Dunfermline Hammermen, Pathhead Feuars and Linktown Weavers societies. Recent major acquisitions include archives of the Forbo linoleum company, the Adam Smith Theatre, McIntosh furniture company and the Kirkcaldy Naturalists Society.

    ARTEFACTS

    Number of items: 45,215

    These form the largest single group of objects and can be divided into the following areas:

    SOCIAL & INDUSTRIAL HISTORY

    The majority of objects fall into this broad category and the bulk of these date from the late 19th century onwards.

    Many of these objects tell the story of people’s homes, recreational and social lives – from general domestic objects to unique items such as Cardenden-born Celtic goalkeeper John Thomson’s jumper.

    In 2020-2021 the Trust ran the Fife in Lockdown project collecting the intangible and tangible history of a unique period with Covid-19 affecting the lives of everyone in Fife and beyond. Physical objects and archives were added to the collection, along with supplementary digital images and memories as part of the contemporary collecting project.

    Many objects also tell the story of people’s working lives and the products they made. The linen, linoleum, coal mining and pottery collections contain a wealth of material that forms an important part of Scotland’s industrial history. The Dunfermline linen and Kirkcaldy linoleum collections, especially, form an invaluable record of the designs and products made in Fife. With 2-year funding from the Esmeé Fairbairn Collections Fund, the Trust appointed an Engagement Curator from in 2022 to undertake Flooring the World: The Fife Linoleum Industry. This project led to an enhancement of the scope and significance of the linoleum collection held by the Trust.

    The collection of pottery includes unique examples of the products of the four Kirkcaldy potteries. In recent years, the Museum Collections team has been working closely with the Fife Pottery Society to help identify more interesting and important pieces in the collection to feature in the glass fronted storage cabinets at OnFife Collections Centre in Bankhead.

    Fife’s trade with northern Europe is revealed through the collection of over 300 Russian lead seals that were attached to imported flax bales – this forms the largest collection held in the UK of these unusual objects.

    Some of the collections are from periods of military conflict, the majority coming from the Second World War. This includes 200 items that came from the Polish forces based in Fife in that period.

    BANNERS

    A collection of 90 banners, carried by workers, groups and societies in Fife is held. These include Free Gardeners’ Society banners. Also notable are the five floorcloth banners carried by linoleum workers in processions in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. No other floorcloth banners are known to have survived from this era. The collection includes banners made and carried by miners in the 1984/85 strike, a banner made for the first Fife Pride march in 2017, and a banner featured in PROCESSIONS, a mass participation artwork to celebrate one hundred years of votes for women.

    COSTUME

    The Trust manages a large collection of 19th and 20th century costume (around 8,000 items), mainly women’s and children’s clothing and accessories. Male costume is represented mostly by military and civic uniforms.

    A documentation project, financially supported by Museums Galleries Scotland from 2004 to 2008, led to more accurate knowledge of the size and scope of the costume collection. During this project we established that the Trust holds around 10% of all costume deposited in Scottish local authority museums.

    WORLD CULTURE

    The Trust manages a small collection (around 1,000 items) reflecting World Cultures, collected by local people through 19th century Scottish emigration and activities linked to empire and colonisation. As such, the collection represents a significant historical record. This includes a carved wooden Tabwa throne (from what is now Zambia), a janiform mask from Nigeria and a group of Chimu and Inca pottery from Peru.

    Knowledge and documentation of parts of this collection have been improved through research partnerships with National Museums Scotland (NMS). In 2018, a collection of around 350 objects from East Asia were reviewed and in 2023 a review of the African collections was undertaken with NMS, African museum professionals, academics, and diaspora representatives from across Scotland. The review highlighted objects which, with further funded research, could be proposed for return to their countries or cultures of origin.

    The Trust is committed to tackling and sharing publicly the challenging histories revealed through our collections through such research and understanding contemporary legacies of empire, colonialism and historic slavery.

    NUMISMATICS

    Number of items: 7,292

    The Trust manages a collection of coins, Scottish trade tokens, Fife communion tokens, local and national military and commemorative medals. A selection of medieval and Roman coins and coin hoards have been acquired through the Treasure Trove process. In 2023 we acquired a rare Malcolm IV penny, found near Aberdour, funded by the National Fund for Acquisitions and the Art Fund.

    FINE ART

    Number of items: 2,191

    The art collection managed by the Trust is primarily from the 19th and 20th century but also contains some notable 18th century and contemporary works. The oldest artwork is a painting thought to be from Florence in the 1520s. It is almost evenly divided between oil paintings and works of art on paper and includes 72 of pieces of sculpture. The collection contains works of national and international significance.

    The collection contains works from three main categories:

    Scottish art: This forms most of the collection. Included are two particularly outstanding groups of work:

    • 46 paintings and drawings by the Scottish Colourist S J Peploe, including the largest collection of his oils (38) in the world and 34 paintings by the Scottish landscape and seascape artist William McTaggart, the second largest collection outwith the National Galleries of Scotland.
    • Eminent women artists such as Elizabeth Blackadder, Frances Walker, Anne Redpath and Marian Leven are also represented in the collection.

    More recent acquisitions included (in 2020) The Song of Silenus by Dunfermline-born Sir Joseph Noel Paton, purchased with financial support from the National Fund for Acquisitions and the Art Fund. In 2023 a collection of contemporary works was donated through the Cultural Gifts Scheme from a private individual. These works are by John Bellany, Ken Currie, Callum Innes and Alison Watt and Nathan Coley. Works have also been acquired with financial support from the Friends of Kirkcaldy Galleries.

    Non – Scottish art: A small number of English and European paintings, including work by L S Lowry, Eugene Boudin, John Martin and the Camden Town Group. The majority of this collection was purchased from the estate of John W. Blyth (Kirkcaldy industrialist, collector and Convener of the Art Gallery’s sub-committee for almost four decades) in 1964. There are also number of donations from other individuals, organisations, and former local authority collections.

    Local art: Local views, portraits and scenes and work by local artists such as James Marshall Dickson (Lochgelly), Andrew Blair (Dunfermline), May Hutchison, Audrey Waugh and many more.

    NATURAL HISTORY

    Number of items: 7,371

    The Trust manages a relatively small, mostly unprovenanced collection including botany, geology and zoology. There are a small number of important specimens, including fossil fish from Dura Den in North East Fife first identified by the Rev Dr John Anderson of Newburgh. Between 2019 and 2021 work with an expert volunteer helped improve knowledge of the fossil collection. The Trust also participated in the NMS/John Ellerman Foundation Review of Fossil Collections in Scotland. During this project, 49 fossils were photographed. The Trust took part in the herbaria collections survey in 2023, initiated by The McManus Art Gallery & Museum, Dundee, which may lead to digitisation and a further research project in the coming years.

    PHOTOGRAPHS

    Number of items: 19,184

    The Trust manages a collection of photographic images including prints, slides, glass plates and lantern slides. Strengths include the work of Newburgh photographer, Andrew Robertson (late 19th century to 1950s), James and John Patrick of Leven, Moodie of East Wemyss, glass negatives of photographer Robert Galloway Brand (1872 – 1941) and local views collected by McNaughton in the 1950s. In 2023, a collection of 377 photographs of 1960s Dunfermline by renowned photographer Joseph McKenzie were transferred from the ownership of Carnegie Dunfermline Trust to the Museum collection managed by Fife Cultural Trust.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Fife Folk Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q5447366
Also known as:
Fife Folk Museum, High Street, Ceres
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
451
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5447366/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Firing Line: Cardiff Castle Museum of the Welsh Soldier

Wikidata identifier:
Q5452077
Also known as:
Firing Line, Amgueddfa'r Milwr Cymreig Castell Caerdydd, Museum of The Queen’s Dragoon Guards and The Royal Welsh, Queens Dragoon Guards Regimental Museum
Instance of:
military museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2281
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5452077/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Fishbourne Roman Palace

Wikidata identifier:
Q1247128
Instance of:
Roman villa; ancient Roman structure; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1394
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q1247128/

Fitzwilliam Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q1421440
Also known as:
The Fitzwilliam Museum
Instance of:
art museum; history museum; university museum; tourist attraction
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
578
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q1421440/
Object records:
Yes, see object records for this museum

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The Fitzwilliam Museum owes its foundation to Richard, 7th Viscount Fitzwilliam of Merrion, who in 1816 bequeathed his works of art and his library to the University together with the funds for a building in which to house them. The Museum opened to the public on its current site in 1848: from that date to the present, the founding collection (of paintings, prints, books and manuscripts) has been repeatedly extended through bequest, gift and purchase. Notable additions over the last 200 years include the Disney collection of Classical sculpture, the McClean collection of coins and manuscripts, the Glaisher collection of European ceramics, John Charrington’s print collection and the wide-ranging assortment of fine and applied arts and antiquities bequeathed by Charles Ricketts and Charles Shannon. The Museum also has important holdings of contemporary art and craft, acquired through purchase and donation.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Museum collections are designated in their entirety, and include works of national and international significance, including numerous individual works and groups of superlative quality, artistic or historical importance.

    The collections comprise the following major areas:

    Antiquities

    From the ancient Nile Valley and Mediterranean, including significant holdings from Egypt, Sudan, Greece, Turkey, Italy, Cyprus, North Africa, the Near East and China, comprising sculpture, ceramics, metalwork, textiles, glass and engraved seal-stones;

    Coins, banknotes and medals

    From ancient states through to contemporary monetary issues;

    Graphic arts

    British and European paintings, prints and drawings including portrait miniatures; complemented by North American Prints and Japanese prints and drawings;

    Decorative & applied arts: including British, European, Central Asian and East Asian ceramics and glass, metalwork, arms and armour, sculpture, furniture, clocks and watches, textiles and fans;

    Manuscripts

    A major collection (bound and unbound) of illuminated manuscripts from Western Europe, Iran and India;

    Archives

    Printed music, literary autographs and correspondence; archives relating to the history of the museum;

    Printed Books

    A collection of rare early printed books from Western Europe, along with important 19th and 20th century holdings relating to art history and archaeology.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Flag Fen

Wikidata identifier:
Q1356788
Instance of:
museum; archaeological site
Accreditation number:
T 5
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q1356788/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Fleet Air Arm Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q5458381
Also known as:
FAA Museum
Instance of:
aviation museum; history museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
843
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5458381/
Collection level records:
Yes, see National Museum of the Royal Navy

Fleetwood Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q5458502
Instance of:
maritime museum; local museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
217
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5458502/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Science and Industry Collection

    The collections relating to the fishing industry contain 4 full-sized boats including the Harriet’ the last surviving North West fishing smack. There are also 60 models of boats, navigational aids and equipment, items from ships such as bells, plaques and lamps, inshore and deep sea fishing equipment, shipwrights tools, clothing and life-saving equipment.

    Subjects

    Science and Industry

    Fine Art Collection

    The main county collections contain around 30 paintings with ships, fishing and nautical scenes that are displayed at the museum.

    Subjects

    Fine Art

    Biology Collection

    Include the F W Frohawk and R A Hoyle collections (ex Harris Museum, Preston). See Museum of Lancashire for main biology descriptions.

    Subjects

    Biology

    Arms and Armour Collection

    There is a small loan collection of items from the Royal Naval Patrol Service (NW) Collection, mainly from 1939-1945 and including photographs and ephemera.

    Subjects

    Arms and armour

    Archives Collection

    A collection of over 1000 engineering charts, ledgers, books, documents, and drawings.

    Subjects

    Archives

    Photographic Collection

    There are over 4,500 maritime-related prints and negatives, including the recent acquisition of the Peter Horsley Collection of over 3,000 images illustrating the fishing industry in Fleetwood from the late 19th century to its decline in the 1970s.

    Subjects

    Photography

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Fleur de Lis Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q113451948
Also known as:
Fleur De Lis Heritage Centre
Instance of:
heritage centre; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1417
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113451948/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The collections owned by the Museum have been accumulated by the Faversham Society over the last 70 years, mostly through donations from the general public, but also through targeted acquisitions and occasional purchases.The collection has grown to over 50,000 objects and archival artefacts and represents the largest and most significant collection of material culture in the Borough of Swale.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The collection relates to the history and archaeology of Faversham and surrounding area with particular reference to the local industries of agriculture – especially fruit and hop-picking, brewing, brick making, ship building and explosives manufacture.The collection also includes domestic social history material; a significant collection of photographs, slides and photographic equipment; telecommunications equipment; and a substantial archive of documentary evidence from varied sources.

    Museum Material is also held on display at Chart Gunpowder Mills and the Society also has material on display relating to Maison Dieu Museum in Ospringe.

    At present, the Museum’s collections can be divided into the following subject areas:

    General social history

    c. 5,000 items including items from domestic and personal life, various industries: railways, brewing, explosives, shipbuilding, agriculture (especially hops), as well as wartime/military items.

    Costume

    c. 1,000 items.Large amount of costume from 1900’s.Collection also includes a Polonaise Dress (18th century) and a court dress from the late 19th century.

    Photographic collection

    c. 5,000 photographs, also glass negatives, slides, cameras, magic lantern projectors etc; Crosoer Slides (important collection of hand-coloured lantern slides taken by the Crosoer brothers – extensive photography around Faversham from 1890-1910); also movie archive with some digitized films.Also projectors, inc rare 3-D projector. (A large bequest of photographic material from Arthur Percival is being processed which has over 40,000 images in different formats.)

    Coins and medals

    Large general collection, and locally important explosives medals (awarded following the explosion in 1916).

    Sound

    Oral history recordings, old records, audio equipment telecommunications including a collection of radios, a Strowger telephone exchange (relay driven, still working and connected to the museum’s internal phone and used by visitors), old switchboard.

    Archaeology

    Local archaeology, but including important material from Faversham Abbey; collection also includes archaeological human remains.

    Fine art

    Framed and unframed works

    Decorative art

    General items but includes an important collection of Osborne Ivorex Plaques (manufactured in Faversham).

    Maps & Plans

    Large collection of material relating to Faversham and its buildings.

    Large objects

    Georgian Shop Front. A Gilbert Scott red telephone box, Telephone exchange. Penny-farthing bicycle.

    Archives

    Archives contain c.30,000 items:

    Main document archive containing wills, deeds and other locally important documents.

    Subsidiary doc archive

    Ephemera

    Faversham Society Papers

    Faversham Oyster Fishery Company ephemera

    Prints and Drawings

    Magazines (General)

    Magazines (Unique / Historical)

    Magazines (Local History)

    Newspapers

    Posters

    Faversham Maritime Archive

    Explosives Archive

    Railways Archive

    Brick-making Archive

    Brewery Archive

    Local Schools Archive

    Church Magazines and Newsletters

    Faversham Town Council Minutes

    Swale Council / KCC Material

    Sheet Music

    Archive of local maps and plans etc.

    Books

    Large, varied library with several rare and unique books.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Flintham Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q113370153
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1696
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113370153/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    In January 1990 the contents of the closed village shop at Flintham, Nottinghamshire (White’s Stores) were ‘discovered’. With the agreement of the owner, Miss Muriel White, three successful exhibitions about Flintham village life from 1910-1950 were held, using documents and artefacts found at the Stores. Before her death in 1992 Miss White gave the collection (known as the White Collection) to the newly formed Flintham Society which was granted educational charity status in 1995.

    The Aims and Objectives of the Flintham Society as listed in the Charity Commission’s Basic Register are:

    The education of the public by a) encouraging and fostering an interest in the history and development of Flintham b) the establishment of a museum displaying historical artefacts connected with Flintham and in particular the collection known as the White Collection. To promote any charitable purpose for the benefit of the inhabitants of Flintham.

    In June 1996 the Flintham Society bought the Reading Room in Flintham, an eighteenth-century Grade II listed building. After completing repairs to the roof, the Society applied in 1997 for a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. This was granted and enabled the existing building to be refurbished, an extension to be added in keeping with the original, and the provision of a museum. The museum was opened by Lloyd Grossman 20 May 1999. The Society leases Diocesan land at the side of the Museum, and with the permission of the Diocese of Southwell, has reinstating a pond and landscaped the surrounding area.

    In September 2005, a Community Shop was opened behind the Museum, on land owned by the Flintham Society. The Community Shop is run as a Community Benefit Society by a Steering Group which is separate to the Flintham Society; the two organisations work amicably and well together.

    In May 2009, on the Museum’s tenth birthday, a Weather Garden was opened behind the Community Shop, on land which belongs to the Flintham Society. The Flintham Museum and adjacent garden is providing enjoyable and educationally challenging opportunities for all age groups.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2017

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Collection has two separate parts: a) The White Collection and b) the Flintham Society Collection. Both collections have different acquisition and disposal policies, as follows:

    A. The White Collection consists of the following:

    • documents and artefacts relating to all aspects of retailing at Whites Stores, Flintham,1911-1982. e.g. invoices, accounts, rationing documents, correspondence, shop stock
    • documents and artefacts relating to the White family including their interests and hobbies c.1830-1992. e.g. glass plate negatives, correspondence
    • documents and artefacts relating to various aspects of Flintham life in which the Whites were involved, including e.g., school documents 1874-1941, Home Guard and ARP activities in WWII

    B. The Flintham Society Collection

    As at August 2017, this is a growing collection, and consists of documents and artefacts relating to various aspects of twentieth century and current life at Flintham e.g. Women’s Institute minutes and scrap book, photographs and documents relating to past and present residents, Flintham Recreation Committee china, Flintham Youth Club, house sale particulars.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2017

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Florence Court

Wikidata identifier:
Q3073959
Part of:
National Trust
Instance of:
historic house; historic house museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1828
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q3073959/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Florence Nightingale Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q5460739
Instance of:
building; museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
584
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5460739/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Personalia Collection

    Most of the collection originated as a collection of “Nightingalia” which was looked after by the Matron of St Thomas’ Hospital. The collection came to the Museum when it opened in 1989 and has since grown and developed. The collection consists of items owned or used by Florence Nightingale including material relating from her childhood, education, costume, accessories, domestic objects, working life, and travel souvenirs. Also portraits and photographs of Florence Nightingale and material connected with the Crimean War (1854-56). Military, hospital and nursing objects are represented and items connected with the Nightingale Training School and St. Thomas’ Hospital. There is a collection of 63 letters from Florence Nightingale and, on deposit at the London Metropolitan Archives, a further 700 letters from Florence Nightingale and other related papers. The collection also includes 60 oral history recordings from Nurses and Patients from Guys and St Thomas’ Hospitals and the Evelina Children’s Hospital.

    Subjects

    Military operations; Primary school curriculum; Health; Secondary school curriculum; Battles; Victorian period; Health education; Nursing; History of medicine; Social history; People; Roles; Military medicine

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Folkestone Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q113369713
Instance of:
museum; local authority museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2394
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113369713/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The origins of Folkestone Museum are synonymous with the misfortune of antiquarian and fossil enthusiast Mr. Samuel Joseph Mackie. His financial troubles in 1856 were personally disastrous, but they started a series of events which resulted in the formation of the first temporary museum in Folkestone. As part of the liquidation of his assets, his large collection of fossils was put up for auction on 18 February 1857. A group of local tradesmen bought them for £33, and subsequently passed their interest to J. G. Breach, the proprietor of the Pavilion Hotel. He gifted the collection to the Town Council, with a request that it should be accessible and form the foundation of a town museum. Eventually a room was hired in Tontine Street for one year to be used as a temporary museum.

    Natural History formed the nucleus of the original museum collection and remains an important part of the collection today, with wonderful specimens of butterflies, shells and fossils of national significance. In the early days of the museum, a Natural History Society was formed in 1868 with Henry Ullyett as the society’s principal proponent. One of the main aims of the society was to establish a proper museum in more suitable premises.

    In 1888 the library, reading room and museum was established at Grace Hill. The museum collections were transferred into the care of the Folkestone Borough Council in May 1888, and moved to the new building. It is this collection, the nucleus of which is Samuel Mackie’s collection of local fossils, which has since been added to. The collection has developed to reflect the historical development of the town through archaeology, social history and fine art. In 1924 Amy Master donated an important folio of works on paper, including Italian and Spanish Old Master drawings and original engravings by Albrecht Dürer.

    Shepway District Council was created through the reorganization of local government in 1974. There was a brief hiatus in management of the museum until Kent County Museum service took over and reorganized the museum collection. Much of the collection went into long term storage in the Folkestone library and to various sites in Maidstone.

    In 2007, Folkestone Heritage Working Group was established by Folkestone Town Council, to work towards the creation of a new Folkestone Museum. In June 2011 Folkestone Town Council purchased the Town Hall. The findings from a feasibility study were submitted to the Heritage Lottery Fund and evidenced that the Town Hall provided the Town Council with a suitable space to achieve their aspirations for the new museum. In April 2013 Kent County Council officially agreed to gift the old Folkestone Museum collection to the Town Council. The collection was loaned by Kent County Council initially, and gifted (with transfer of title) to Folkestone Museum once the museum gained Accreditation status.

    Folkestone Museum opened in Folkestone Town Hall in spring 2017. All acquisitions by the museum since this opening go to Folkestone Museum under the authority given to the museum by its governing body, Folkestone Town Council, with their approval of this policy.

    In 2023, the trustees of Creative Folkestone gifted the Metropole Collection (a collection of 20th century contemporary art collected by the New Metropole Arts Centre) to Folkestone Museum.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The collecting area of Folkestone Museum includes the town of Folkestone and the surrounding Folkestone and Hythe District Council area – excluding Hythe itself, as Hythe has its own museum.

    Until the Second World War, Folkestone Museum was a regionally important centre for collecting geology and natural history specimens. Many of the original fossils, geological and natural history objects, including birds’ eggs butterflies and shells remain in the collection today.

    Folkestone’s important archaeological past is represented by artefacts such as those from the Roman Villa on the East Cliff and an Anglo-Saxon skeleton, whilst various objects and documents record the maritime history and development of the town as a seaside resort.

    The museum also holds two significant collections of art. The Master collection of 16th-19th century prints and drawings, and the Metropole Collection of 20th century contemporary art. The Museum also holds a range of pictorial items of local topographical and biographical interest.

    Collection Descriptions

    There are approximately 11000 records of accessioned items in the collection – c.40000 in total. In addition, there are c. 500 objects that still have temporary numbers and c.70 unaccessioned objects which have formally entered the collection.

    Agriculture

    We hold a small amount of agricultural material.

    Archaeology

    Folkestone’s archaeological past is represented by over 400 artefacts, notably objects from the town’s Roman Villa and Anglo-Saxon remains. The archaeology collection does not contain any objects from after 1066.

    Arms & Armour

    Military history relating to Folkestone and the surrounding area.

    Biology

    We have over 5000 natural history specimens including birds’ eggs, butterflies and shells.

    Costume / textiles

    There are 150 items of costume and textiles in the collection.

    Fine Art

    There are 879 pieces of art, including the Master collection and the New Metropole Collection.

    Geology

    Folkestone is a regionally important centre for geology and the museum holds c.600 specimens.

    Maritime

    Various documents and artefacts record the maritime history of the town.

    Numismatics

    The collection had over 1130 coins and medals. A number of these were stolen in the 1990s. At present, 90 objects are ‘missing’, ‘lost’ or do not have a location on our Collections Management software.

    Social history

    We hold over 1300 items recording the development of the town and the people who lived in it – the earliest objects in this collection are from the 1720s.

    Transport

    The collection includes a small number of transport items.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Food Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q6940842
Also known as:
Museum of East Anglian Life, The Food Museum
Instance of:
local museum; charitable organization; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
775
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q6940842/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Ford Green Hall

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q5467796
Also known as:
Ford Green Hall and attached wall and dovecote
Instance of:
historic house museum; farmhouse; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
711
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5467796/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The current collection is comprised of Historic Furniture which is on loan from The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery: There is a 25year Artefacts Loan Agreement between the City Council and Ford Green Hall Museum Ltd from time to time documenting the loan of the artefacts by the Council to FGH Museum Ltd.

    The collection is comprised of original and replica pieces reflecting the 17th century onwards. Also few items acquired from other collections such as the Arnold Bennett Museum. All works are complementary to the history of Ford Green Hall. The furniture itself ranges in date from the late 15th Century to the 19th Century and has been arranged in room settings which represent different periods in the Fords family occupation of the house. The most expensive item at the time would have been the tester bed, the tester being the roof or canopy of a four poster bed. The long table and parlour cupboard date to around 1650.

    Our knowledge of how Ford Green hall was furnished when the Fords lived in it, is greatly helped by the survival of inventories attached to the wills made by members of the family. Where possible, an attempt has been made to furnish some of the rooms according to these inventories.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Fordingbridge Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q113370146
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2135
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113370146/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Social History

    Domestic items include a very early washing machine.

    Science and Industry

    The collection includes items from local trades and industries such as cobblers’ and blacksmiths’ tools, items from closed shops, hand tools from the building trade and canning equipment from a local family business.

    Arms and Armour

    The collection includes First and Second World War ephemera.

    Music

    The collection contains a working pianola with music rolls.

    Photographic

    There are several hundred photographs and documents.

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Forncett Industrial Steam Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q113369826
Instance of:
museum; independent museum; industrial museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2513
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113369826/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Fort Amherst Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q5470717
Also known as:
Fort Amherst; Fort Amherst Heritage Trust
Instance of:
military museum; fort; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2538
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q5470717/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Fort George

Wikidata identifier:
Q1426707
Also known as:
Dùn Deòrsa; An Gearastan
Instance of:
barracks; military museum; museum
Accreditation number:
T 496
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q1426707/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Fort Grey Shipwreck Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q113170776
Instance of:
museum; local authority museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1532
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113170776/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Sign up to our newsletter

Follow the latest MDS developments every two months with our newsletter.

Unsubscribe any time. See our privacy notice.

Back to top