Skip to content

Filters

  • Results per page

2052 records match your search. Use the filters to refine your results. Using data FAQs.

Open filters

Rocks by Rail

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q7383497
Also known as:
Rocks by Rail: The Living Ironstone Museum; Rutland Railway Museum
Instance of:
museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
558
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7383497/
Collection level records:
Yes, see

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The collection started in 1980 when a small number of exhibits came to the new museum site (formerly derelict land) which was acquired as a replacement location for exhibits that operated under the aegis of the Market Overton Industrial Railway Association located on former quarry land at Market Overton, Rutland.

    During the early development of Rutland Railway Museum the surviving number of quarry and industrial railways was rapidly declining.

    The closure of the ironstone quarries serving the giant steelworks at nearby Corby presented the opportunity for the museum to acquire a representative range of railway wagons that were formerly used on the area’s quarry railways. As the museum sought to show to visitors what a quarry train looked like, a number of similar wagons to form a rake was acquired, rather than individual examples. This approach was followed through in tracking down and collecting historic quarry wagons from other sources where the wagons still existed in industrial service. Because of this approach the museum has the only comprehensive collection of standard gauge quarry rail wagons in the UK being able to re-create authentic historic quarry trains.

    To provide some covered accommodation for the expanding locomotive collection the museum acquired the former quarry locomotive shed at Woolsthorpe in the Vale of Belvoir. This was carefully taken down, transported and rebuilt at the museum by 1985 and used for restoration.

    The use of railways in industry suffered further marked declines in the mid 1980’s and a significant number of privately owned industrial locomotives arrived at the museum as exhibits, reflecting this steady decline.

    In 1986 the museum was able to secure as an exhibit the remaining driver’s cab of the giant SUNDEW quarry dragline which once worked in the County.

    For operational reasons a railway coach was acquired to permit visitors the opportunity of travelling along the museum’s demonstration line.

    The last quarry railway in the UK finally succumbed to modernisation in February 2005, bringing 200 years of industrial history to an end. The last locomotive in use and two wagons were donated to the museum by the quarry company.

    By 2006, the locomotive collection had grown to an almost unmanageable level. Many of these were non-operational privately owned exhibits on loan. A radical review of the collecting policy was undertaken and it was agreed that the collecting policy be amended to more sharply concentrate on the industrial heritage of quarry railways in the region. This led to the cessation of loans and the departure to other museums and railway preservation sites of a significant number of privately owned locomotive exhibits which did not fit the revised collecting policy. Under this policy change a number of museum owned locomotives that did not fit the revised policy were also found new homes at other railway sites. At the same time the museum was also able to secure the donation of a local ironstone quarry steam locomotive to the collection.

    In 2007 the museum site was expanded by acquiring adjacent land for a car park. This enabled the formation of a rail-connected mock ironstone quarry to be constructed to enable exhibits to be demonstrated to visitors. Some operational quarry machines obtained earlier were thus able to be put into a more authentic setting to better interpret quarry and quarry railway heritage.

    Major earthworks and rationalisation of the centre sidings of the museum was undertaken which ultimately provided the space necessary to erect a three track exhibition building. Most of the locomotives at the museum are now kept undercover in a secure building with visitor access.

    The museum’s Accession Register holds a total of 152 entries of which 41 ( 27 %) are items on loan to the museum. The vast majority of the on loan items are from the museum’s own members but two exhibits are on loan from the National Railway Museum, with individual exhibits also on loan from the National Coal Mining Museum for England, Bluebell Railway and Nene Valley Railway.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2019

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The collection is diverse in size and scale. Most of the primary collection comprises large physical exhibits, which are displayed and operated as part of the museum.

    The museum has a number of Core Collections.

    • Vehicles and large exhibits directly related to the primary theme.
    • Documents, drawings, photographs and ephemera relating to the primary theme.
    • A collection of railway locomotives reflecting our primary aim.
    • A unique collection of railway freight wagons relating to the primary theme.
    • A range of quarrying equipment often used in conjunction with ironstone and quarry railway operations.

    The museum has two secondary but related themes. We are aware that some of our exhibits are complementary to our central theme but are worthy of consideration in their own right.

    1. Exhibits that were used in other quarrying and industrial activity in the region or the close proximity of the museum.
    2. A range of mechanical quarry plant exhibits built in Lincoln and reflecting the rich engineering heritage of that local City. In particular these exhibits are the products of Ruston & Hornsby as well as Ruston Bucyrus.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2019

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Roman Alcester Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q113866453
Also known as:
Alcester Museum, Roman Alcester Heritage Museum
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2146
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113866453/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Warwickshire Museum Service

The Roman Baths

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q2540426
Also known as:
Roman Baths and Pump Room, The Roman Baths and Pump Room, The Roman Baths, Roman Baths Museum
Instance of:
thermae; tourist attraction; museum; ancient Roman structure; museum building; architectural structure
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Designated collection
Accreditation number:
923
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q2540426/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The origins of the museum date to 1727 when Minerva’s Head was discovered and displayed at the Guildhall along with further archaeological discoveries. In 1790 the Pump Room was extended and included the display of the Gorgon’s Head and other key objects from Roman Bath and the surrounding area.

    The museum was opened to the public in 1897 following the discovery of the Roman bathing complex in the 1870s and records mention the display of the Gorgon’s Head beneath the Concert Hall adjacent to the Roman Baths. Photographs show Roman stonework, leadwork and building materials from the excavations placed around the baths. From this time onwards, objects have been put on display to augment the understanding of the site for visitors to the Roman Baths.

    During the 20th century, the Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution transferred assets including archaeological objects from Bath and the region to Bath City Council as the institution’s buildings were requisitioned and used by the Admiralty until 1959. The Roman Baths collection steadily grew over the following years as further excavations in Bath and the region revealed more archaeology, and other institutions and individuals transferred or donated items to the museum. The rich archaeology of Bath and North East Somerset gave rise to Bath Archaeological Trust, which became the primary excavator of archaeological sites up until the early 2000s, when the company was dissolved. At this time the entire archive of material and documentary finds from hundreds of excavations was deposited with the Roman Baths, giving rise to the documentation backlog that still exists today It is not clear what means of identifying the first objects in the collection was used as no form of documentation was used in the museum prior to 1962. A card index was then set up which briefly recorded (and sometimes misidentified) some 2340 archaeological objects in the museum, marking objects with RB numbers, some of which survive today. There are no records in the Museum archives about the objects in the collection during these years, but ongoing research into the City Archives held at Bath Record Office will provide further information.

    Between 1977-9 a new scheme was introduced with the MDA prefix of BATRM and cataloguing with MDA cards. Some of the RB-numbered objects were renumbered with A numbers (A standing for archaeology). Only 1267 objects were catalogued on object cards and sheets which were later bound. Corresponding RB numbers also were recorded at this point. The current system of accessioning and numbering by years was introduced in 1978 and has been continued to the present. In 1992 bound archival quality accession registers took over from the loose leaves used previously.

    In the late 1980s the collection management database, Micromusee, was acquired but few objects were recorded until 1998, when a review of the documentation procedures highlighted gaps and consequently new procedures and record sheets were introduced. Since this time, a programme of cataloguing and digitisation of archaeological boxed collections and digitisation of the numismatic collections has ensured the ongoing documentation of the collection, a process that was halted during the Coronavirus pandemic due to the staffing capacity, a pause in Collections volunteering and the subsequent retirement of the Collections Manager.

    Management of the collection first became curatorially led in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when the museum’s management was remodelled to form Heritage Services a division of Bath and North East Somerset Council. Prior to this the site ran primarily as a visitor attraction, but this restructure allowed for the recruitment of a formal curatorial position. In 1990, the museum became a Registered museum and in 1999 the collection was Designated by Resource (Council for Museums, Archives and Libraries) as having a collection of national significance. In 2004, Registration became Accreditation. In 2014 ‘The Roman curse tablets from Bath – Britain’s earliest prayers’ were the first objects from Roman Britain to be added to the UK Register of the Memory of the World by UNESCO.

    As of 2022 the collections and curatorial staff at the Roman Baths are all new in post following the retirement of the Head of Service, Roman Baths Manager, and Collections Manager in 2021-22. This Policy maintains and looks to build on the existing high standard of collection management and museum best practice that the previous management team worked to develop over their tenure, in line with the new Heritage Services Strategy and the Roman Baths Forward Plan.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Roman Baths collections are principally archaeological, but also include a diverse local history collection and a major collection of numismatics which together tell the story of 7,000 years of human activity around the hot springs at Bath. The collection is Designated in its entirety by ACE as one of outstanding national significance. The museum collection is recorded on the Collections Management Database, Mobydoc Micromusee. To date, there are 89,498 records on the database, which represent an estimated 182,899 objects as some bulk archaeological collections are catalogued at group level.

    Archaeology

    In the prehistoric collections there are flint and other stone objects, mostly from the downs to the north and south of Bath but including a small but distinctive group of Mesolithic flint tools found in excavations in and around the hot springs in Bath, and further finds from the site of the Southgate shopping development, together making a significant assemblage from the southwest. There is also Bronze Age metalwork, the most significant pieces being from the Monkswood Hoard. There are small quantities of prehistoric pottery, human and faunal remains including objects from the Iron Age hillfort at Little Solsbury, and Iron Age roundhouses at Batheaston

    In the Roman collection, the bulk of material relates to the Baths and Temple site in which the museum is situated, consisting of building blocks, architectural fragments, sculptural reliefs, inscriptions, ceramic building material and lead and bronze plumbing fittings. There are also thousands of coins and many smaller objects from the Sacred Spring thrown in as offerings to the goddess Sulis Minerva. Amongst these are fragments of over 130 curse tablets, the largest group known from within the Roman Empire and the first objects from Roman Britain to have been added to the UNESCO Memory of the World register of intangible cultural heritage.

    Roman objects from sites elsewhere in Bath include architectural fragments, tomb sculptures and stone coffins, as well as personal, domestic, and industrial objects. These include objects of copper alloy, iron and bone as well as substantial quantities of pottery, tile, human and animal bone and samples of wall plaster, mosaic tesserae and window glass. Notable is the Beau Street hoard of Roman silver coins, one of the largest from any town in Roman Britain.

    From elsewhere in Bath and North East Somerset there are objects from the Roman villa at Combe Hay and an important collection of material from Keynsham, including Roman objects and a nationally significant mosaic from the Durley Hill Roman villa and the Somerdale Roman house now believed to be part of the Roman settlement of Trajectus.

    The post-Roman collections include remains from a Saxon cemetery at Bath, and from the medieval settlement at Eckweek excavated in 1988 in advance of the Peasedown St. John by-pass. Important objects from the Medieval Abbey site at Keynsham include monumental stonework, building materials and a range of small finds representing life at the Abbey. The post-medieval objects in the collection are principally ceramic and glass, with material from Saw Close representing the lower socio-economic residents of Bath in the Georgian and Victorian periods. The collection includes stonework and industrial objects recovered from the Combe Down stone mines during archaeological recording that took place prior to the stabilisation project completed in 2009.

    The Roman Baths Museum is one of only two museums in the former County of Avon approved by Historic England for the deposition of excavation material and their associated archives. Much of the archaeological material excavated prior to the early 2000s was transferred from the Bath Archaeological Trust, and consists of the object and documentary archives of the Trust’s work in the region. The archaeological collections are added to continually through receipt of excavation material from development archaeology as well as occasional stray finds and through purchase via the Treasure Act.

    Numismatics

    The numismatic collection consists of approximately 30,000 objects. Most significant amongst these are the collection of Roman coins of which the most noteworthy are those excavated from the Sacred Spring at the Roman Baths and the Beau Street Hoard, both collections of national significance.

    There are a number of ancient coins (mostly Roman) from various sites around Bath and unprovenanced sources. Numismatics from later periods include coins from the Saxon mint at Bath and a representative collection of English coinage from the Saxon period to the 20th century, miscellaneous foreign coins, commemorative medals, jettons and reckoning counters.

    The collection includes a very comprehensive collection of local 17th, 18th and 19th century tokens, tickets, inn checks and banknotes from Bath and North East Somerset.

    Local History

    The local history collections consist principally of objects relating to the city and immediate environs of Bath. They include an important collection of Sparelated equipment rescued in the 1980s from the defunct Spa Treatment Centre, which was enhanced in the 1990s by the creation of an oral history archive for the Spa, and a large group of weights and measures transferred from Trading Standards.

    The collection includes historic furniture pieces produced by local makers during the 17th and 18th centuries for the buildings and venues in the care of Bath and North East Somerset Council, and notably the Tompion Clock made by clockmaker Thomas Tompion for the Pump Room.

    The collection also includes a significant and substantial collection of old photographs, postcards and glass negatives, mostly of the Roman Baths and Bath, as well as nearby villages.

    Title to the collection of civic regalia and silver of the former Bath City Council was transferred to the Charter Trustees upon local government reorganisation in 1996, but curatorial advice is still given to the Trustees by the Roman Baths Museum when required.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

The Ropewalk

Wikidata identifier:
Q7366754
Also known as:
Halls' Barton Ropery, Ropewalk Barton upon Humber
Instance of:
local museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2277
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7366754/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Rotunda Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q7370709
Also known as:
The Museum
Instance of:
museum; museum building; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
27
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7370709/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Archaeology Collection

    About 20,000 items mainly from North and East Yorkshire covering prehistory to post-medieval with regionally important Scarborough Castle, Scarborough ware and Anglian collections. The Mesolithic material from Starr Carr, Flixton and Seamer Carr is internationally important. Scarborough Castle, Scarborough ware and Anglian collections. The mesolithic material from Starr Carr, Flixton and Seamer Carr is internationally important.

    Subjects

    Archaeology

    Ancient Egyptian Collection

    The museum holds 50 ancient Egyptian objects. Classes of objects represented in the collection include: amulets; scarabs; shabtis.

    Subjects

    Antiquities; Ancient civilizations; Egyptian history; Antiquity; Archaeological sites; Archaeological objects; Egyptology; Archaeological excavations

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Academy of Arts

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q270920
Also known as:
R.A., Royal Academy Including Burlington House And Galleries And Royal Academy Schools Buildings, Royal Academy of the Arts, RAA
Instance of:
national academy; collection; art museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Designated collection
Accreditation number:
2071
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q270920/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Fine Art Collection

    The Royal Academy fine art collection includes a substantial group of portraits and self-portraits, mostly of Royal Academicians, dating from the mid-18th century to the present day. As well as portraits in oils, the collection also holds portrait busts, drawings, watercolours, photographs and prints. Highlights include self-portraits of Thomas Gainsborough and Sir Joshua Reynolds and Lord Leighton painted by G.F. Watts. Royal Academy of Arts

    Subjects

    Artists

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Academy of Music Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q7373577
Instance of:
museum; archive
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Designated collection
Accreditation number:
2083
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7373577/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Music Collection

    The collections include musical instruments, most of which are kept in playing order and are used by staff and students of the Academy. The string collection includes a fine group of classical Cremonese instruments from 1650 to 1740, with important examples by the Amati, Rugeri and Guameri families and by Antonio Stradivari. Pianos include instruments on loan from the Kenneth and Mary Mobbs collection, and demonstrate the technical development of the piano in England between 1790 and 1850. Percussion includes items used by James Blades. There are also personal items such as Sir Henry Wood’s tuning fork and stop watch, archives and collections of paintings and images, relating to the history of the Academy from the 1820s to the present. These include material from the working collections of Sir Henry Wood, Sir John Barbirolli, James Blades and Robert Spencer. In addition there is the McCann Collection of photographic materials, ephemera, recordings and programmes from the 19th and 20th centuries. Most of the photographs have been autographed by the sitter, and a particular strength is the availability of rare biographical and iconographical material from Eastern Europe.

    Portraiture Collection

    Painted portraits of ‘An Audition at the Royal Academy of Music’ (Sir Thomas Armstrong, Percy Waller, Marcus Thomson and Ernest Read); HRH Princess Alice Duchess of Gloucester, William Alwyn, the Hon. Cecilia Cavendish Anderson, HRH Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught, Sir Thomas Armstrong, Sir Granville Bantock, Sir John Barbirolli, Sir Arnold Bax, Ludwig van Beethoven (loan), Sir Julius Benedict, Joseph Bennett, William Sterndale Bennett, Sir Harrison Birtwistle, Major-General Richard Bond, Rosina Buckman, Doreen Carwithen, Angelica Catalani, Harriet Cohen, Belle Cole, Sir Edmund Compton, Paul Corder, William Crotch, Henry Cummings, Gaetano Donizetti, Spencer Dyke Quartet, Lilian Elde, Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, Leslie England, Frederick the Great being taught to play the flute by Johann Joachim Quantz, Howard Ferguson, Herbert Fryer, Alfred Gibson, Dame Evelyn Glennie, Griller Quartet, Giulia Grisi, Stanley Hawley, John William Hobbs, Florence Hooton, Eric Hope, Ethel Kennedy Jacobs, Nathalie Janotha [Natalia Janotha], Sir Gilmour Jenkins, Frederick Jewson, Emanuel Quartet, Manuel Garcia junior, Otto Klemperer, (called) Henry Lawes, Sir Anthony Lewis, Franz Liszt, Kate Loder, John David Loder (or a member of the Loder family), Sir David Lumsden, Dame Moura Lympany, Maria Malibran, Sir George Macfarren, Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Sir Stanley Marchant, Maude Melliar, Norman McCann, Sir John McEwen, Clara Angela Macirone, Jean Sterling MacKinlay, Tobias Matthay, Lord Menuhin [Yehudi Menuhin], Julia Neilson-Terry, Phyllis Neilson-Terry, Nicolo Paganini, Alfredo Piatti, Sir Curtis Price, Ebenezer Prout, Henry Purcell, Ernest Read, Charles Rube, Anton Rubinstein, Prosper Sainton, Esther Salaman (loan), Albert Schweitzer, Constance Shacklock, Peter Simon, Jennie Stanford, Denis Stevens, Sir Arthur Sullivan, Zara Nelsova, Sir Reginald Thatcher, Dame Eva Turner, Dame Genevieve Ward [Ginevra Guerrabella], Alfred Waley, Charles Wesley, Samuel Wesley, Maude Valrie White, the Earl of Westmorland [John Fane, Lord Burghersh], Sir Henry Wood plus others including an unidentified 18th-century gentleman by Charles Philips, 1737. Drawings include portraits of Thomas Arne, Sir John Barbirolli, Sir Arnold Bax, Sir Julius Benedict, Alan Bush, Moir Carnegie, Harriet Cohen, William Crotch with Charles Burney and Benjamin Cooke, Sir Clifford Curzon, Maud Drinan, Sir Thomas Beecham, Milan Yovanovich Bratza, Dame Clara Butt, Douglas Cameron, Walter Willson Cobbett, Leslie England, Georges Enesco, Harry Farjeon, Arthur Fiedler, Wilhelm Furtwangler, Charles and Ethel Kennedy Jacobs, Sir Gilmour Jenkins, Lindsay Quartet, Norman McCann, Natalia Macfarren, Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Maria Malibran Garcia, Jessie Henderson Matthay, Yehudi Menuhin [Lord Menuhin], Benno Moiseiwich, Nicolo Paganini, Max Pirani, Felix Pissarro,Ebenezer Prout, George Robey, Mstislav Rostropovich, Dame Ethel Smyth (called), Luisa Tetrazzini, Sir Reginald Thatcher, Alfred Waley,Sir William Walton, Adam Wright, Sir Henry Wood, Eugene Ysaye, Busts, life or death masks, hands, sculptural reliefs etc relating to Arago, Johann Sebastian Bach, Michael William Balfe, Sir John Barbirolli, Daria Bayan, Ludwig van Beethoven, Charles-Auguste de Beriot, Francois-Adrien Boieldieu, Sir Warwick Braithwaite, Ole Bull, Frederic Chopin, Domenico Crivelli, Sir Clifford Curzon, Maud Drinan, the Earl of Dudley, Sir Edward Elgar, Sir Edward German, Giulia Grisi, Georg Frideric Handel, Franz Joseph Haydn, Arthur Hervey, Henri Herz, Dame Myra Hess, Otto Klemperer, Ada Lewis (or ? Elena Gerhardt), Franz Liszt, Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Tobias Matthay, George Macfarren, Sir Stanley Marchant, Felix Mendelssohn, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ilya Musin, Euphrosyne Parepa-Rosa, Henry Purcell, Franz Reizenstein, Alfredo Piatti, Philip Cipriani Potter, Patrick Savill, Cyril Scott, William Shakespeare, Sir Arthur Sullivan, Sigismond Thalberg, Lionel Tertis (loan), Richard Wagner, the Earl of Westmorland (John Fane, Lord Burghersh), Sir Henry Wood, Edith Wynne Collection of mezzotints, engravings and etchings especially rich in portraits (Robert Spencer collection) of lutenists and guitarists, 17-18th century musical patrons, composers and performers, and royalty. Many other lithographs and prints (total c. 400 catalogued so far) relating to musical portraits including ensembles, caricatures etc. Large collection of music with lithographic portrait titles relating to the major singers and composers of the nineteenth century. Portraits of performers (early 20c postcards) relating to world music. Photographic archive.

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Air Force Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q16910978
Instance of:
museum; non-departmental public body; military museum
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q16910978/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The Museum was formally established under a Deed of Trust in 1965 and opened to the public on 15 November 1972. Little control was exercised over the quantity or quality of material accepted into the collections between 1965 and 1986. This was due to:

    • Enthusiasm to build the Museum’s collection from scratch.
    • A huge public response to the creation of the Museum leading to vastly more material being offered than the staff had capacity to appraise.
    • Acceptance of material in preference to risking giving offence.
    • Accepting poor examples as insurance against better ones never being offered.

    This resulted in several undesirable effects, primarily:

    • Continued acceptance of duplicated material.
    • Accrual of surplus objects because the Museum lacked a policy or procedure enabling their disposal.
    • A growing body of objects in need of identification and assessment.

    A more restrained collecting policy began to operate in 1986, although its parameters were not formally recorded. In 1994 a formal, general collection and disposal policy was compiled, but it was not actively applied until 1997 with the introduction of the Museum’s formal Collecting Statement.

    The Museum’s Inventory Project to record every object within our collections began in 1998 and informed collecting decisions as it went along. This can be viewed as the beginning of conscious and conscientious collecting at the Museum.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)
    Collection Department Objects – includes Permanent (accessioned), Inward Loans and Support (interpretive, surrogate, handling) collections
    Aircraft and Exhibits 55,000
    Archives 665,000
    Film and Sound 16,000
    Fine Art 7,000
    Library 206,000
    Photographs 151,353
    Total 1,305,000

    The Museum operates from two public sites, Colindale in North West London and Cosford in the West Midlands. The Museum also has collection stores on MOD premises at Stafford and Cosford.

    The Permanent Collection includes aircraft, personal equipment, uniforms, medals, film, photographs, fine art, publications and archive documents. In order to explain the full history of the service, these date from before the formation of the Royal Flying Corps in 1912 to the present day.

    The Museum’s Permanent Collection is acquired, stored and documented by specialist curators at the three sites detailed above. The following is an outline of the Permanent Collection material:

    Aircraft and Exhibits

    The A&E collection is dominated by aircraft-related material, such as airframe components and internal equipment (over 40,000 objects, including 233 complete airframes) and clothing (over 20,000 objects). Other notable sections include commemorative objects (3,500), medals (3,000) and survival equipment (3,000).

    The majority of the collection relates to the RAF’s first 50 years. Since 1965 material was largely collected on a type basis with proactive collecting limited to a relatively small number of specific purchases for exhibition. Objects relating to specific people and people stories are, therefore, limited and generally relate to senior RAF officers.

    Since 2016 the Museum has actively adopted a contemporary collecting focus to support the development of new exhibitions and as part of its Strategic Plan 2030 to reflect the diverse and whole history of the Royal Air Force. Acquiring further contemporary material will continue as one of the collecting priorities. Individual contemporary collecting projects may be proposed and undertaken by curatorial staff with defined outcomes, subject to approval by the Collections Development Committee.

    Archives

    The Museum is an approved Place of Deposit. Papers forming the Archive collection have been gathered from 1965 onwards with active collecting taking place since 1970. It incorporates drawings and technical papers (300,000), personal papers (200,000) and administrative records for the RAF Museum.

    The strength of the current collection lies with the material relating to the First and Second World War. The Inter-War period is reasonably represented but coverage of the Cold War era and recent decades is weak. A major strength of the collection overall is the personal papers of those who have served. This material includes objects relating to men and women of all ranks serving in numerous theatres.

    The material relating to the aerospace industry is one of the largest outside of the industry itself. The Archive also includes material which complements and supports objects held within the other Museum collections.

    Film and Sound

    The collection includes official RAF and Air Ministry training films, documentaries, amateur material shot by RAF personnel, films documenting trials of aircraft, weapons and other equipment and unedited footage from a variety of producers, including the RAF and MOD film units.

    The collection also includes a growing number of oral history recordings, documenting the memories and experiences of RAF personnel from the First World War to recent operations in Libya and Afghanistan. Areas already covered in this way include Cold War air defence, with emphasis on operations by Lightning and Phantom aircraft as well as transport flights by the RAF Lockheed Hercules fleet.

    Particular strengths of the collection include Second World War training and documentary films, footage produced by manufacturers during the 1940s and 1950s and material relating to the Cold War in Europe.

    Fine Art

    The art collection consists mainly of paintings (600), drawings and watercolours (3,900), prints and posters (2,400) and a smaller number of sculpture (90) and ceramic (four) works. It incorporates the War Artists Collection, comprising Second World War works from the official commissioning scheme of the War Artists Advisory Committee (WAAC), and the Air Ministry’s scheme (in total 400 works).

    The collection reflects many aspects of the service, its people, operational methodologies, noteworthy events, artists’ and institutional perspectives, and many other facets which cannot easily be put across by using other forms of museum object. It also provides a view of the RAF in colour, which photography cannot match in any quantity until the mid-1950s.

    Since the mid-1990s a policy of acquiring works which were painted at or close to the time during which particular events and RAF activities occurred has been pursued in favour of broadly commemorative works. Exceptions may be made for contemporary works which conceptually reflect back on the history of the RAF, raising questions of continuity and change.

    Library

    The collection consists of RAF publications used for operational, training, public relations or recreational purposes, commercial publications about RAF history, units, stations, equipment and personnel. These include large collections of books and periodicals (over 76,000), technical publications (70,000), maps and charts (13,000).

    The collection is a valuable source for supporting the Museum’s internal research activities, answering public enquiries and aids research into the history of the RAF.

    Photographs

    The collection primarily comprises photographs covering the first 50 years of the RAF’s existence. Most of the collection is made up of small collections from individuals, usually former service personnel or their families. There are a number of large collections, however, including Charles E Brown (photographer), British Aerospace, Kingston (aircraft manufacturer) and Jack Bruce (aviation historian).

    The collection is used to provide images for Museum exhibitions and commercial publications, in addition to aiding internal research and answering public enquiries.

    The Museum obtains images from many sources, including aerospace companies and other service providers working with the Royal Air Force. In certain circumstances material unsuitable for the Permanent Collection may be acquired for the Interpretative Collection, supporting exhibitions and other forms of interpretation.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Albert Memorial Museum & Art Gallery

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q7373646
Also known as:
RAMM
Instance of:
museum; history museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Designated collection
Accreditation number:
838
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7373646/
Object records:
Yes, see object records for this museum

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    RAMM owes the wealth of its extraordinary collections to its origins in the 1860s. Its predecessor, the Devon & Exeter Albert Memorial, was created through public subscription in the wake of Prince Albert’s death. Civic leaders had been toying with the idea of a museum for several decades as there were important collections of artefacts and specimens in the city, such as those held by the Devon & Exeter Institution, gathered by people who had lived or worked abroad and retired to Devon.

    These early donations helped to establish RAMM’s collection priorities when it opened in 1868 around four subject areas: Antiquities (Archaeology and Local History), Art, Ethnography (World Cultures) and Natural History. Since 1870 RAMM has been a service of Exeter City Council and increasingly collecting in these four areas has been refined and formalised through a policy periodically ratified by elected members.

    Between 2011 and 2013 RAMM undertook a root-and-branch review of its collections by assessing information on provenance, significance and usage. The award-winning review identified collections strengths and weaknesses and informed the themes and priorities for future research, collecting and rationalisation. Full details of RAMM’s collections review methodology are available in a separate document.

    While the core themes established at RAMM’s foundation remain the cornerstone of collecting, the museum’s acquisition policies have evolved in the subsequent years. For example the 2020-25 Collections Development Policy includes the selective acquisition of contemporary art and photographs. It also acknowledges the thorny issue of preserving and accessioning born-digital material, even though at the current time the museum sector does not have an agreed solution.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2020

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    RAMM houses a varied collection well in excess of a million items. The principal subject areas are classified under the headings of Antiquities, Costume and Textiles, Decorative Art, Ethnography, Fine Art, Natural Sciences and Social History.

    Alongside (and sometimes within) the principal subject areas, RAMM’s holdings also incorporate inter-disciplinary material, such as Numismatics, Contemporary Art and Photography.

    Antiquities

    Approximately 58,000 accession records refer to the archaeology of Devon and Exeter, Britain, Egypt, the Mediterranean and Western Asia as well as fragments from local buildings. Many of these records refer to group accessions (one accession number may cover a box of many pot sherds for example) so the actual number of objects within the Antiquities collection is significantly higher – estimated at 1,065,000 (Jan 2020).

    RAMM’s local archaeology and history collections represent the heritage of almost every community in Exeter, East Devon, Mid-Devon, Teignbridge and parts of the South Hams and Dartmoor. The collections cover most aspects of domestic, social, cultural, religious, economic and political life over the past 300,000 years.

    For a small city, Exeter has been the subject of a huge amount of archaeological attention. The results of this work are deposited at RAMM. The archaeological holdings reflect the history of Exeter: from Roman military origins; a Roman civilian phase; post-Roman decline; Anglo-Saxon renewal; medieval growth; a Tudor and Stuart period of prosperity from trade and colonialism; to a less prominent but affluent Georgian and Victorian period.

    Archaeological projects on the outskirts of Exeter have increased our knowledge of the prehistoric, Roman and medieval occupation of the area. For example, during excavations preceding the building of Cranbrook a late Neolithic/early Bronze Age beaker cremation burial was found with a remarkable archer’s bracer made of stone from Great Langdale and a series of clay weights (probably for tensioning the threads of a loom) were found in a middle Neolithic pit near Exeter airport.

    The collection includes a significant number of prehistoric, Roman, medieval and later coins found by archaeological activity as well as hoards found by metal detectorists (e.g. the Roman hoard from Seaton Down). There are significant antiquarian coin find collections, particularly those of W.T.F. Shortt and the Norton collection. These two are of particular note as they contain eastern Mediterranean coins which may be genuine archaeological finds or more recently lost or planted. Coin finds from controlled excavations are of great importance in site dating and interpretation.

    Historically, RAMM has collected archaeological material from the whole of Devon; however, since the 1990s, the Museum has only collected archaeological archives from the local authority areas of Exeter, East Devon, Mid Devon, Teignbridge, plus the eastern half of Dartmoor and the South Hams. RAMM holds the archives of field records, site plans, photographs, etc., relating to sites from both Exeter and Devon. RAMM does not collect digital archives from archaeological projects, these are archived with specialised digital repositories such as the Archaeology Data Service (ADS). RAMM levies a fee for the deposition of archaeological archives.

    RAMM works actively with the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) and metal detecting communities to encourage detectorists to record their finds. The Museum has acquired finds through the Treasure Act 1996 as well as non-treasure items directly from landowners and detectorists.

    Additionally, the antiquities collection includes important architectural fragments from buildings in Exeter and around Devon dating from around AD 950 to 1800. The best examples have regional and national importance as a record of building styles and methods, many of which have been lost during recent development. As with the archaeology collections, they form an important element in establishing a sense of place. Of particular note is a nationally important collection of late medieval ecclesiastical woodwork fragments from churches of the South West collected by Exeter-based Harry Hems.

    RAMM has small holdings of foreign archaeology. The majority of the European, Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Greek, Cypriot, Etruscan and Roman material was collected in the 19th and very early 20th centuries. The core of the collection is formed by the Cobham collection of Cypriot antiquities, the Corkill collection of Mesopotamian cylinder seals and the L.A.D. Montague collection. The latter is a good example of a ‘gentleman’s’ antiquities collection, mostly purchased from dealers and including a Greek hoplite helmet said to be from the Battle of Marathon. Individual objects of interest include: the mummy of Shep en-Mut, a late 18th-dynasty stone sculpture head, possibly Tutankhamun or Horemheb, and examples of Coptic textiles.

    Contemporary art

    Contemporary art and craft in RAMM’s collection has been acquired by purchase (with grant support) and donation in recent years and works are found across the collection areas. Sculpture has been a particular focus for collecting including works by Steffen Dam, Polly Morgan, Geoffrey Preston and Michael Shaw. The ethnographic collection includes artwork commissioned to celebrate the museum’s international links, such as by Rosanna Raymond and Suzuki Mutsumi.

    Costume and Textiles

    RAMM’s collections management database includes approximately 15,000 verified records relating to the costume and textiles collection. However, many of these refer to a group of items, so it is estimated that the actual number of objects in the collection is nearer 22,000.

    The Costume and Textiles collection illustrates the types of clothes worn by local men, women and children from 1750 to the present day, with some much earlier examples of underwear, accessories and textiles. The collection is strongest in middle/upper class female clothing but is better balanced for more recent periods, including every day and occupational clothes worn by people of all classes in Exeter.

    The collection of lace, some 2000 items including documentation and equipment, is particularly strong. It covers European and British laces (and allied techniques) from the 16th century to the present day. The Bury Palliser and Treadwin collections – both important 19th-century collections of English and continental lace samples – were among the first collections to be given to the museum in the 1860s. They are unique to RAMM.

    The strength of the Costume and Textiles collection is the quantity of material with strong local connections, whilst the quality and quantity of items ranks it among the top ten costume collections in Britain. Many objects have been published.

    Decorative Art

    The Decorative Art collection covers a broad field. It comprises approximately 500 items of silver, 1300 ceramics and 400 glass objects, as well as smaller collections of civic regalia, furniture, horology, pewter and other metalwork.

    RAMM’s collection of Devon silver is of international importance and dates from the medieval period to the present day. Most was acquired in the postwar years through the Veitch bequest and through the Reynolds Chard bequest. The Victoria & Albert Museum Purchase Grant in 1995 allowed the acquisition of the Corfield Spoon Collection. The museum also has some important early church silver on loan from churches within the diocese. The collections at the Guildhall are mostly of a later date and with Civic associations. The most recent acquisition was two Elizabethan silver mounted tigerware jugs from Exeter, c.1580-90, purchased in 2012 through the Reynolds Chard bequest and the V&A PG Fund and the Art Fund.

    The ceramics collection is made up of English and continental material from the 17th century to the present day. Some is of a high quality and the collections of studio and local Devon potteries are of national importance. A recent acquisition was a piece of studio pottery made by the local ceramicist Bruce Chivers who donated a raku ware vessel in 2017.

    The museum has a large and representative collection of glass dating from the early 18th century, based on the Clarke bequest of 1928. There are several pieces of special note such as the Joanna Southcott beakers and Charles II flute glass.

    RAMM’s collection of horology embraces clocks, watches and clock and watch-making tools from the 17th to the 20th centuries. Most of the watch collection was bequeathed by C.R. Venn in 1928 and is one of the most important collections outside London, including several very rare time-pieces. Later acquisitions, including an 18th-century watch by Henry Gard of Exeter, acquired in 2011, have filled some of the gaps in RAMM’s collection.

    Ethnography

    RAMM’s ethnographic collection consists of some 12,000 items. In 1998 the whole collection was awarded Designated status in recognition of its significance and national importance. The collection includes items from many parts of the world and reflects acquisitions made during the time of British colonialism in the late 18th century through to the early 20th century.

    The collection represents Africa, particularly Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, Kenya and South Africa; the Americas, with strengths in Arctic, N.W. Coast and Plains region of the USA, and Amazonia; the Arab world, particularly Oman; Asia – India, Myanmar; and the Pacific, notably Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Australia, Polynesia.

    Many of the items were collected by local residents. The majority being brought back as gifts, souvenirs and occasionally as trophies of conflict. They represent connections made between local people and source communities in other parts of the world over the past 250 years.

    After the Museum opened in 1868, a number of significant donations followed:

    The Devon and Exeter Institution transferred items to RAMM, including rare items from Tahiti collected by Francis Godolphin Bond (HMS Providence) on the 2nd breadfruit voyage under Bligh in 1792. There are also Inuit items acquired by Captain Sabine who served under Captain Sir Edward Parry on the 1819-23 voyage to Lancaster Sound.

    The Reverend Henry Townsend was an Exeter-born missionary based in Nigeria who set up a mission in the new Egba city of Abeokuta in 1846. Some of the prestigious items he received went on display in the Great Exhibition of 1851 and were later donated to RAMM.

    In 1868 art collector Henry Vaughan donated a collection of items from Captain Cook’s second and third voyages. These items had been purchased by Vaughan’s father and uncle at the 1806 Leverian auction.

    Crew members acquired artefacts on the voyages of the HMS Discovery (Vancouver 1790-95) and HMS Blossom (Beechey 1825-28) to the Pacific, Arctic and North West coast of America. In 1865 botanist John Gould Veitch participated in a collecting voyage on the HMS Curaçoa. Artefacts from all of these voyages are found in RAMM’s collections.

    F.W.L. Ross, whose journal records a visit to the Marquesas Islands whilst serving on the HMS Tagus in 1813, built his own museum in Topsham. With the help of his naval contacts, he received some rare American and Polynesian items which are now in RAMM’s collection.

    Ivory and rubber trader Richard E Dennett, acquired a collection of artefacts from the Congo in the 1870s which came to the Museum. These iconic items were possibly acquired by him as a member of the Lemba trading guild.

    Items relating to James Bandinel of the anti-slave department at the Foreign Office (1824-49) were presented to the Museum by his son Rev. James Bandinel in 1889. The artefacts are evidence that Royal Navy ships had lawfully seized slaving vessels.

    Acquisitions to enhance RAMM’s ethnography collection have continued to the present. Priority has been given to items which improve the quality and range of existing collections. Donations, which include Jevan Berrangé’s donation of items from the Amazon region of Guyana and Brazil and Leslie Read’s 1980s Chhau masks from India, have filled gaps in terms of style and quality.

    Similarly, Jenny Balfour-Paul’s donation of barkcloth, the Elizabeth Norris donation of Asian embroidery and the Stephanie Odam donation of clothing from Oaxaca, Mexico, have considerably enhanced existing material. Conall Macfarlane’s gift (via the Acceptance in Lieu scheme) enabled the Museum to acquire a Maori mere pounamu (greenstone weapon) to replace a badly fragmented example.

    Consideration is also given to selective acquisition of items for use in developing understanding between users of the museum and communities represented by the ethnographic collections. The commissioning of new artwork, such as Rosanna Raymond’s Genealogy in 2007 which reflects the significance of bark cloth to Polynesian identity in the modern world. Sheila Unwin’s significant donation of East African beadwork illustrates adornment as currency, social indicator and fashion, in contrast to existing examples from the 19th century. RAMM’s acquisition of Suzuki Mutsumi’s Golden Field of Rice (2009) through the Art Fund Collect scheme in 2010 reflects ancient technique with modern aesthetics.

    Recent policy has enabled RAMM to acquire well-documented items by donation, bequest and exceptionally by purchase, where these items were originally made and used by peoples in the indigenous communities of Africa, the Americas, the Pacific Islands and Asia, and have been collected by people residing or having a significant connection to Devon and Exeter.

    Fine Art

    The collection includes material from the 16th century to the present. It comprises approximately 500 paintings, 3000 drawings and watercolours, 3500 prints and a small collection of sculpture.

    The Fine Art collections are strong in 18th and 19th-century local artists – in particular Francis Towne, John White Abbott and John Gendall, representing Exeter and Devon topographical scenes. Since 2005, significant Devon artists of this period (pre-dating the 20th century), such as Francis Hayman, Benjamin Robert Haydon and Richard Cosway have been acquired via grant aid in order to extend and consolidate this already significant collection. These artists are either native to or have a tradition of working in Devon.

    Artists (of excellence and significance) beyond the above remit, including a John Opie portrait of Micaiah Towgood, have been acquired only via donation or bequest.

    The representative collection of 20th-century paintings, prints and drawings has been developed, with the addition of works linking to artists already featured in the collections (e.g. Duncan Grant, Walter Sickert) and the groups and schools with which they were associated (e.g. Bloomsbury, Camden Town, Euston Road). Recent acquisitions here included a David Bomberg landscape. Works by war artists have lately been consolidated by the acquisition of Leighton Hall Woollatt’s Blitz scenes, among others.

    The acquisition of local works, for example landscapes and portraits, can be of more importance for their topographical or historical significance than their artistic merit. RAMM has continued to acquire selected additions of work related to the region, such as Exeter and Devon landscapes; work with a connection to the region through ownership or provenance; and work by established professional artists born, trained or resident in the region, including artists-in-residence. Important recent acquisitions to this part of the collection include works by John White Abbot and Leighton Hall Woollatt.

    Works in RAMM’s sculpture collection range from the medieval period onwards. The acquisition of sculpture is limited by size, storage and conservation factors. However important 20th century small-scale works include Zennor by Barbara Hepworth, Carapace by Michael Ayrton and Triple Loop by Bill Pye.

    Natural Sciences

    RAMM’s Natural Sciences collections are wide in scope covering zoology, botany and geology. They contain British and foreign material of high quality and scientific importance. Approximately 121,000 accession records relate to Natural Sciences objects. Many of these records refer to group accessions (for example, one accession number may cover an entire cabinet of entomology specimens) so the actual number of objects within Natural Sciences is estimated in excess of 500,000.

    The molluscs number approximately 70,000 individual specimens with good global and taxonomic coverage. In January 2020 George Montagu’s collection of shells received Designated status from Arts Council England. It includes 120 lots with type status and attracts international research interest. It is the most intact and taxonomically important collection of British shells of the early 19th century to be found anywhere in the UK. Juliana Linter’s collection of approximately 14,000 exotic land snail shells is also noteworthy for it includes many rare or extinct species as well as some type material.

    Percy Sladen’s echinoderm collection comprises several thousand microscope slides and fossils from the collection of W.B. and P.H. Carpenter and over 2,500 dry and wet-preserved echinoderms. Some of these echinoderms were collected on the expeditions of HMS Challenger (1872-76) and HMS Lightning (1868). This is one of the best echinoderm collections in the UK outside of national museums.

    RAMM has excellent British and exotic butterfly collections numbering in the region of 100,000 specimens, many of which have been consolidated (organised taxonomically rather than by collector). RAMM also has excellent holdings of British beetles and spiders.

    Birds are a particular area of strength within the vertebrate collection with more than 12,500 study skins, eggs, bones and mounts. The specimens are of native and exotic species with good global coverage and include those now extinct or exceedingly rare such as the kakapo, huia, moa, ivory-billed woodpecker and passenger pigeon. Some of RAMM’s most iconic objects are mammals. Of the 1,400 mammal specimens around 60 were collected by big game hunter Charles Victor Alexander Peel including the giraffe as well as a polar bear and an African elephant. Reptiles, fish and amphibians are less well represented.

    The botany collection is a good reflection of the activities of collectors from Victorian times up to the mid-20th century. Specimens from early collectors such as D’Urban and Hiern are particularly data-rich. Both collections include local and national material. Some of Hiern’s specimens have been published in Flora of Devon (1939) by Keble Martin and Fraser. Also of note are approximately 2,000 seaweed specimens, many collected by female collectors including Amelia Griffiths, Mary Wyatt, Catherine Cutler, Fanny Hindon and Ellen Hutchins.

    The geology collections are strong in specimens from Devon and the South West of England, together with intermittent worldwide coverage. The palaeontology collections are particularly extensive, with important material from the local Cretaceous, Pleistocene and Triassic systems including the holotype of Fodonyx spenceri.

    Numismatics

    The numismatics collection comprises coins, tokens, medals and bank notes issued in Devon. Archaeological coins and coin hoards are held within the Antiquities collection (see 3.2). The most important elements here are the very fine systematic collection of the silver pennies struck at Devon’s four Saxon and Norman mints (Exeter, Barnstaple, Totnes and Lydford), which includes some great rarities, and the sequence of Exeter’s Civil War coinage. There are also good collections of Devon tradesmen’s tokens of the 17th and 18th centuries, local medals, pub checks and badges, and a small collection of local banknotes. The museum also holds a representative selection of typical British coins of Saxon to modern date and a small collection of Classical coins.

    Photography

    An assessment of RAMM’s photographic holdings undertaken by a V&A Museum curatorial post identified photographic material in all of RAMM’s principle collection areas, as well as in the archive. It includes early daguerreotype and ambrotype material from the 1850s to present day prints. It is estimated that there are 600 photographic prints (including unique photographs, original and reproductive prints); 250 negatives and transparencies; 4,700 lantern slides; a small collection of photographic albums and books containing photographs; and a collection related to photographic technology, including photographic equipment and raw materials.

    The collection is strong in late 19th and early 20th century material by local, professional photographers with a particular focus on studio portraiture (cartes de visite, cabinet cards, loose and in photographic albums), such as by Owen Angel, James Frederick Long and Heath & Bradnee Ltd.

    Highlights of the collection include:

    • Four photographic portraits of the Royal family (reproductive prints) by Baron (Stirling Henry Nahum), Alice Hughes, and W. & D. Downey.
    • A tri-colour carbro print, A Domestic Affair, c. 1925, an outstanding example of early colour photography by Exeter-based photographer Frederick Gordon Tutton (1888-1930).
    • Book with albumen prints of fungi (c. 1870s-80s), some hand-coloured, by early female photographer Miss M.M. Clarke
    • Book Hortus Veitchii, 1906 with approx. 50 photogravure illustrations possibly by E.J. Wallis.
    • Group of 44 photographs of tree specimens collected by JR Jackson (including albumen prints by Samuel Bourne, Bourne & Shepherd, Charles Thomas Scowen, Nicholas & Curth and GR Lambert and Co.)
    • A unique photographic album (platinum prints) of Reminiscences of Mysore by Barton & Son, Bangalore from c. 1906.
    • Three crystoleum photographs by Exeter-based photographer Owen Angel, c. 1870s-80s.
    • Daguerreotype of an unknown girl by Charles Henry Williamson (1826-1874), c. mid-1850s.
    • Photographic portraits (originals and reproductive prints in the form of cartes de visite, cabinet cards, gelatin silver prints, as part of photographic albums) by local and national photographers and photographic studios, such as Bertram Park, Houston Rogers, Joseph Parkin Mayall, Maull and Fox, J Russell & Sons.
    • Two boxes of microphotographs, some made by the pioneer of microphotography John Benjamin Dancer

    Recent acquisitions include:

    • Photomontages by Joanna Brown (2014-15).
    • A photobook, Seeing believing (2017), by Garry Fabian Miller including a small limited edition print The White Cloud, looking towards Ravens Tor, Winter 2014.

    Social History

    The Social history collection at RAMM is currently estimated at 9,955 records and 16,945 objects. Social history has recently been identified as a discreet group within RAMM’s collections and we are currently assessing our holdings for significance.

    These objects reflect the history of Exeter and its region from the 17th century onwards. They include artefacts relating to the city’s institutions (the defences, religious institutions, the Guildhall, public health and the water supply for example), its foreign and regional trade (with highly important material from the operation of the custom port of Exeter), its industries, domestic life and topography (the last including a series of city models ranging in date from c.1820 to the 1970s). There has been little organised collecting in the past, and this is an area the museum is looking to develop in the future.

    RAMM holds a small collection of musical instruments including important keyboard instruments as well as some woodwind and string instruments dating from the late 18th century. The 17th-century virginals by Charles Rewalyn of Exeter and the Italian harpsichord 1782 are outstanding pieces.

    The small collection of armour and swords is based on local 17th and 18thcentury material. A medium sized collection of firearms has as its core the high quality products of the local firm of W.J. Harvey and other innovative 19th-century firearms collected by W.J. Harvey.

    The small technology collection numbering some 296 objects was mainly collected between the 1970s and 1980s, with a few existing older acquisitions being included. A number of objects in this collection were identified as potential candidates for disposal following a rationalisation exercise.

    RAMM has a significant collection of objects relating to fire insurance and firefighting, with some of the earliest examples dating from the 18th century. These objects include fire buckets, fire insurance marks, uniform and equipment, and a fire engine used by Exeter Cathedral.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2020

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Anglian Regiment Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q45113468
Also known as:
The Royal A​nglian Regiment Museum
Instance of:
regimental museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1588
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q45113468/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Royal Anglian Regiment Museum collects and preserves material relating to the history of the East Anglian Regiments and The Royal Anglian Regiment, including Territorial Forces, Cadets, Schools, Affiliations and Alliances associated with the Regiment.

    The Collection comprises items that cover its link with the Former Regiments, the role and organisation of the current Regiment, its traditions, customs and dress, worldwide operational deployments, honours and awards and the Roll of Honour. Items include uniforms, badges, accoutrements, weapons, archives, photographs and memorabilia.

    The period of time to which the Collection relates is from the amalgamations of the Former Regiments that created the East Anglian Regiments in the period 1958-1960, up to the present day.

    The geographical area is constrained only by the stipulation that units, sub-units, detachments or individual members of the Regiments must have served in the areas represented in the Collection.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Armouries

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q1283541
Also known as:
National Museum of Arms and Armour
Instance of:
museum; national museum
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q1283541/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The Museum originated in the Tower of London, and today operates across three main sites: its headquarters in Leeds, its historic home in the Tower of London and its artillery museum at Fort Nelson in Portsmouth.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: Not known

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Museum’s collection consists of examples of arms, armour and artillery dating from antiquity to the present day. The collection covers the development of arms and armour for military, sporting, presentation and other purposes. Geographically they cover a huge area including Europe, North America, Africa and Asia.

    Notable collections include: important medieval holdings, royal armours of the Tudor and Stuart kings; arms and armour of the English Civil Wars; the armoury from Littlecote House; British and foreign military weapons from the Office of Ordnance and Ministry of Defence Pattern Room collections; and holdings of oriental arms and armour.

    The Royal Armouries also holds a number of special collections relating to the history of the Tower of London, including antique prints and drawings, paintings, early photographs, archives and rare books.

    In alphabetical order:

    Archery

    The collection of European and American archery equipment includes some highly important objects, such as longbows retrieved from the Mary Rose, Henry VIII’s flagship, excavated in the 19th century. There is a world-class group of crossbows ranging in date from the late 15th to the 19th century, including one example of a type associated with King James I, with an important group of cranequins, gaffles and other spanning mechanisms, quivers and quarrels. There is also an important holding of excavated medieval arrow and quarrel heads, mostly from the River Thames, and a significant collection of target archery equipment and accessories of the 18th and 19th centuries. Modern crossbows, bows and blowpipes are also represented.

    Archives & Special Collections (Library)

    The collection holds material relating to the development of arms and armour; the history of the Tower of London and its institutions including the Tower Armouries (before 1 April 1984); the Royal Armouries (after 1 April 1984); and other related subjects and organisations such as Royal Small Arms Enfield, chivalry and knighthood, warfare and military science.

    The scope, acquisition, disposal and use of the archives and special collections are detailed within the Archives Development Policy, Information and Records Management Policy, and the Archives Appraisal Policy.

    The special collections (library) includes early books on fencing and the art of warfare, including the 16th century works of the Italian fencing masters Camillo Agrippa and Achille Marozzo; military manuals and drill books, including: the works of Henry Hexham, used extensively during the English Civil Wars; General Wolfe’s Instructions to Young Officers; and the Standing Orders written by Robert Craufurd, commander of the Light Division during the Peninsular War; official handbooks and training manuals relating to small arms and artillery, issued by the War Office and the Admiralty; illustrated books on chivalry and knighthood, including: a 19th century facsimile of Der Weisskunig (The White King), with engravings by Hans Burgkmair; and a number of volumes relating to the Gothic revival, in particular a fine copy of The Eglinton Tournament 1839 illustrated by the artist James Henry Nixon.

    Armour

    The armour collection is important in that it is an historic royal armoury and also an arsenal. As such, considering the size, spread, quality and scope of the collection, it cannot be matched by any other world collection. One of the most highly-regarded sections are its collection of armour made in the royal workshops at Greenwich, founded by Henry VIII, and its Stuart royal armours of the early 17th century. It includes important groups of medieval armour, both mail and plate, of the 14th and 15th centuries. There are collections of Renaissance armour, particularly decorated armours of Germany and Italy. There are some of the finest etched, gilt and embossed armours of the world. The historic Tower arsenal collection contains royal munition armour of the 16th and 17th century, but also Parliamentarian armour: the Littlecote armoury. Its holdings of tournament armour, which include pieces with Hapsburg origins and from the English royal collection, are internationally significant. It also contains holdings of ancient and modern armour.

    Art

    The collection of fine, decorative and applied art ranges in date from medieval to contemporary and includes drawings, engravings, lithographs, woodblock and letterpress printing, oil paintings and watercolours. Most objects are of European origin, principally British, and are two-dimensional, although there are a few pieces of sculptural artwork.

    Artillery

    The artillery collection is of national and international significance in its scope, due to its technical interest, aesthetic quality and early origins. It relates to two of the Tower of London’s historic roles. Firstly, as an arsenal, the Tower was the major storehouse of artillery from the 14th century. Experimental and obsolete pieces were retained as an official record. Secondly, as a showplace, the Tower was home to many guns taken by right of conquest or presented by friendly powers. The collection includes outstanding trophy guns and diplomatic gifts ranging in origin and date from the famous Turkish bronze bombard dated 1464 to the French guns captured following the battle of Waterloo.

    The artillery collection reflects technical developments in field, fortification, and naval artillery, although many of the relevant pieces also have specific military or political history attached to them, and/or are decorated artistic pieces. Notable early pieces include the mid-15th century 13-inch`Boxted` Bombard and the historically significant 15th century bombard `Mons Meg`.

    The collection is strong in muzzle-loading artillery of the 17th to 19th century, including much of the range of 16th – 18th century defined classes, from an ornate pair of Falcons associated with the Duke of Gloucester to a Cannon cast by Pedro Dias Bocarro in Chaul, 1594. It also covers the typical range of 18th/19th century field and naval artillery, but also significant individual pieces of the era such as the unusual Mallet`s mortar.

    The transition from smoothbore to rifled guns is also represented alongside the armament of Fort Nelson itself, a key piece being the exceptionally rare Armstrong 7-inch breech loader. The collection also includes numerous examples of the quick-firing guns of the late 19th and the 20th centuries. The most recent examples are of two tubes from the Iraqi ‘Supergun’ (Project Babylon) of the late 1980s. Anti-tank artillery from the 20th century is selectively represented, including conventional weapons but also recoilless weapons, and an example of the most important 20th and 21st century form of artillery, namely the Self-Propelled Gun (a 1944 British Sexton with intact 25-pounder gun).

    The collection of ammunition and artillery accessories and supporting pieces is also wide-ranging, from individual projectiles associated with the aforementioned guns to a Green Archer fire control radar system.

    Edged Weapons

    The edged weapons collection is widely regarded as one of the greatest in the world. It ranges in date from the Bronze Age to the present and contains a number of unique or rare objects. There are a wide range of types of edged weapons, including swords and daggers, along with various examples of hafted and staff weapons, including large numbers of those of the guards of Henry VIII. With the addition of the Ministry of Defence (MOD) Pattern Room items, the collection holds an enhanced collection that tells the story through Sealed Patterns of the British Army Regulation issue sword from the end of the 18th century to the present day.

    The collection contains a comparatively comprehensive, selection of fine medieval pieces, including medieval daggers found in the Thames. The post-medieval section is stronger, with a wide range of edged weapons used in war, presentation, sport and hunting.

    The collection contains a number of unique pieces, ranging from what is regarded as the earliest known medieval child’s sword to swords associated with historical figures such as Cromwell, Napoleon, Collingwood and Wellington, as well as with various British monarchs.

    Firearms

    The firearms collection includes military, sporting, hunting and self-defence firearms, and light weapons, air weapons, bayonets, firearms accessories and ammunition. It is the largest and finest of its type anywhere in the world. It is truly global in theme and pan-period in date (c.1500 – Present), with particular strength in the area of British and Commonwealth military small arms. It has a strong emphasis on 20th century due in part to ongoing ties to the Ministry of Defence and various UK police services. As a result it includes examples of modern military, commercial, and criminal use weapons not found in other museum collections. The contemporary collection in this, as other areas, has also reached out into the field of popular culture, with film and television props including `blasters` from the `Star Wars` films. It is also strong in experimental and trials weapons, both types that became significant in their own right, and technical `dead-ends` that are valuable in the study of arms.

    At the core of the collection is the ‘Old Tower Collection’ of service arms formerly kept at the Tower of London from its days as an issuing arsenal, resulting in the most comprehensive collection of 18th and early 19th century British military longarms anywhere. Alongside this were stored early trials weapons, foreign gifts, and the firearms elements of King Henry VIII’s personal armoury, notably two breechloading sporting guns and several matchlock gun-shields.

    This collection has been enriched by collecting activity along typological and art historical lines. A growing collection of continental wheellock firearms is particularly noteworthy, as is the large assemblage of highly decorated Russian firearms and accessories for Empress Elizabeth of Russia, known as the `Tula Garniture` and dated 1752. In more recent times collecting has focussed on objects with historical, personal, or local significance, including the large number of matchlock and flintlock arms from the armoury at Littlecote House.

    The collection was greatly bolstered by the donation in 2005 of the former Ministry of Defence Pattern Room collection, which excelled in material of the 19th and 20th centuries, including both experimental/trials and issue types. Though strongest in typological and technical terms, it also includes various unique or otherwise significant objects such as the presentation Colt Navy revolvers gifted to Colt’s British supplier of steel, Mark Firth. The highlight of this combined collection is the Sealed Pattern collection of firearms dating from the 18th century to the end of this system of standardisation c.1918. Once the reference standard for the production of Ordnance firearms (prior to the introduction of technical drawings), it is now an invaluable research tool. The collection also holds examples of weapons used in crime from the 19th century to the present day. This allows the collection to illustrate the nature of the change in the use of weapons in crime.

    Supporting the core collection of arms are: bayonets, including Sealed Pattern and rare examples; firearms accessories including powder flasks, holsters, spanners, gauges, tools etc., and a unique collection of live small arms ammunition.

    Part of the terms of gift for the Pattern Room Collection from the Ministry of Defence which is detailed with an ongoing Service Level Agreement (see RA / MOD SLA) is that items from the Pattern Room (PR) collection are to be made available to SLA ‘users’ for training purposes, and that Royal Armouries remains current by expanding the collection in line with SLA purposes.

    Oriental

    The collection is unusual in having significant holdings from every part of Asia. Regarding the depth and range of coverage, and taking into account the many unique objects it includes, it ranks among the best in the world.

    Chronologically, the main strength of the collection lies between the 15th and 19th centuries, but some of the more remarkable objects are earlier including 14th century Japanese sword blades, a helmet and a mace from the Yuan dynasty (13th – 14th century), an early curved sword from the Eurasian steppe dating to around the 9th or 10th centuries, and bronze helmets, the remains of a crossbow and a dagger axe blade with its surviving scabbard all dating from the 5th – 3rd centuries BC during the Warring States period in China. From western Asia there is an impressive group of medieval Turkish armour, and the only known surviving example of a 15th century Mamluk handgun. From South Asia comes the famous elephant armour, the only near-complete mail and plate example contemporary to the Mughal era held in a museum collection in the world.

    There are also important groups of objects which entered the collection as major acquisitions of arms and armour sourced from across South Asia in different contexts, such as the East India Company gift presented by 1853, the Great Exhibition display items bought in 1852, the Codrington collection objects purchased in 1863 and the equipment transferred following the Indian disarmament enforced in 1859. From Central Asia there are top quality armours and weapons. Moving into East Asia, the Chinese collection includes some outstanding objects such as an extremely rare sword from the early Ming dynasty, which is celebrated as one of the best examples of decorative metalwork from this era still in existence. The Japanese collection is extremely important, especially in regard to armour. It includes one of the early 17th century Tokugawa presentation armours, and a very rare example of practical field armour from the 16th century which was sent to Spain as a diplomatic gift.

    M-class

    This is a collection of non-accessioned objects which is maintained for the purpose of education, handling and display. The collection contains a wide range of material relating to the subject areas covered by the permanent collection. It includes both replica and original objects, including deactivated firearms.

    Tower History

    This collection contains a range of object types connected by their association with, or depiction of, the Tower of London. The collection includes: domestic ware with printed images of the Tower; objects associated with officials and official bodies (such as the Tower Hamlets Volunteers); pictures/accounts of prisoners or their possessions; and objects linked to significant on-site events, such as the Grand Storehouse Fire in1841.

    Historically, site finds from the Tower have also been accepted into the collection. Site finds are by their nature varied and include a ‘toy’ firearm from the 16/17th century, a Viking stirrup and two mummified cats. Material relating to the History of the Tower of London is also contained in the Archive collection.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date:

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Armouries Leeds

Wikidata identifier:
Q7373689
Also known as:
Royal Armouries Museum
Part of:
Royal Armouries
Instance of:
military museum; national museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1686
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7373689/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Royal Armouries

Royal Army Chaplains’ Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q6940753
Also known as:
Museum of Army Chaplaincy
Instance of:
military museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2188
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q6940753/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The Royal Army Chaplains’ Museum is a unique museum telling the story of Army Chaplains and Faith in the Forces. There is no other museum which covers these areas. Despite its long history beginning in 1796, the Royal Army Chaplains’ Department did not possess its own home until December 1946 when HM King George VI offered Bagshot Park to the Chaplain-General. It was then possible to centralise the archives and historical relics of the Department in one place. Successive Wardens and Deputy Wardens carried out a great deal of work between 1946 and 1966 to produce a worthwhile Museum display. In 1967 approval was given by the Ministry of Defence for the Museum to be established as an official Class A Museum.

    The Museum was opened by HM the Queen on 7th April 1968. In order to safeguard the historical material held by the Department the RAChD Museum Trust was established in 1969. In 1979 The RAChD Museum Trust was registered with the Charity Commission under the Charity No 276924. The lease on the Bagshot Park ran out in 1996 and the Museum collection had to go into storage, until a new home for the Museum was ready at the Armed Forces Chaplaincy Centre at Amport House in Hampshire. The Museum opened under the new working name of ‘Museum of Army Chaplaincy’ on 10 September 2001. In April 2003, the first full time curator was appointed. In 2016, the disposal of Amport House was announced by the Secretary of State for Defence. Project Jordan saw the reprovisioning of the Museum on a new site adjacent to the Defence Academy of the UK. In April 2020 a new Charitable Incorporated Organisation foundation was set up under the name of the Museum of the Royal Army Chaplains’ Department. The opportunity was taken by the trustees to refine and widen the objectives of the Museum. The old charity was wound up its assets transferred to the new CIO; which is registered with the Charity Commission under No. 1189072.

    The new Museum was opened on 18 May 2022 with the new title of ‘Royal Army Chaplains’ Museum : Faith in the Forces’.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: Not known

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The collection consists of medals, uniforms, equipment, furniture, church silver, paintings, photographs, models, books and documents. The archive consists of both personal and Departmental papers. Items have been acquired via the Royal Army Chaplains’ Department since the inception of the Museum and by donation by individuals or organisations to the Museum Trust.

    The collection has global connections as British Army chaplains have served in every corner of the World. The collection contains very rare examples of Army chaplains uniforms from the Victorian and Edwardian periods. The Museum holds a wide-ranging collection of gallantry awards to chaplains. The stories behind the men who won these awards are contained in the important collection of archive material held by the Museum. The archives contain unique documents from the First and Second War Wars. The Museum holds a unique collection of oral history recordings of chaplains who served in Afghanistan, in digital format. These recordings are currently in the process of being transcribed and indexed.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date:

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Army Physical Training Corps Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q24035915
Also known as:
Army Physical Training Corps Museum
Instance of:
military museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1595
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q24035915/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The RAPTC Museum was founded at the Army School of Physical Training (ASPT) in Aldershot in 1953. It has since moved to several different locations within the ASPT. The collection has grown as a result of purchases, gifts, loans and bequests from the ASPT, the Royal Army Physical Training Corps (RAPTC), RAPTC Association and private donors.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Museum’s collection at present comprises over 10,000 accessioned items, including: uniforms, sports clothing, sports equipment, medals, photographs, pictures, prints, books, flags, trophies, posters and documents.

    The collection depicts the connection between physical training and sports and the Army since the founding of the Army Gymnastic Staff (AGS) in 1860 to the present day. It covers the geographical area of Aldershot, Hampshire, home of the RAPTC, as well as any other geographical locations where RAPTC personnel have been posted in the course of their duties or have competed in sporting events.

    The Collection is held in two areas, both of which hold a selection of the objects described above: the public viewing gallery and the reserve collection and library, the latter of which is not accessible to the public. A small number of other items are displayed in other areas around the ASPT.

    For the purposes of this policy the collection shall be itemised in two clearly defined areas:

    • The Core Collection: Exhibits, artefacts and archives considered essential to the history of the RAPTC.
    • Non-Core Collection: Those artefacts and archives not essential to the history of the RAPTC.

    Non-core items may well be duplicated within the collection or will not fall within the objectives of the Museum or there will be other reasons relating to a particular item which renders it unsuitable for inclusion in the core collection as defined by the Council of Trustees. These items could be made available to other like museums for loans, exchange, as gifts or offered for disposal as clearly defined under this Policy.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Artillery Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q682917
Also known as:
Firepower – The Royal Artillery Museum, The Royal Artillery Museum
Instance of:
museum; charitable organization
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Designated collection
Accreditation number:
1706
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q682917/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Military Collection

    Firepower! holds two museum collections, a major collection of artillery and a regimental collection relating to the Royal Artillery Regiment. The collection comprises nearly 900 guns, 450+ small arms and 2,500 pieces of ammunition, large collections of bayonets, communications equipment, instruments and other equipment ranging from flags to vehicles, plus numerous personal items such as over 2,400 uniforms and swords as well as badges, medals, awards and personal equipment, and an art collection comprising pictures, sculpture.

    Subjects

    Arms and Armour; Uniforms; Medals

    James Clavell Library of the Royal Artillery Institution

    The library consists of books, periodicals and other published works from the 16th century to the present day, covering artillery from the 13th century onwards. The archives, also stored at the Library, consist of pamphlets, manuals, personal and technical papers, photographs, documents, together with unit records from the 18th century to the present day. The archives contain over 5,000 individual collections. Material is received from a wide variety of sources, including RA units and establishments, members and ex-members of the Regiment, the Ministry of Defence and the general public.

    Subjects

    Tactics; Artillery

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Royal Birmingham Society of Artists Permanent Collection (RBSA)

Wikidata identifier:
Q116738950
Instance of:
independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
378
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q116738950/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea

Wikidata identifier:
Q188801
Responsible for:
Leighton House; Sambourne House
Also known as:
RBKC
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q188801/
Object records:
Yes, see object records for this museum
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Royal Burgh Of Culross

Wikidata identifier:
Q2424554
Also known as:
Royal Burgh of Culross
Instance of:
village; small burgh
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1491
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q2424554/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Royal Burgh of Lanark Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q29364453
Also known as:
The Royal Burgh of Lanark Museum, Lanark Museum
Instance of:
museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
30
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q29364453/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Royal College of Nursing Library and Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q111983687
Also known as:
Royal College of Nursing Library & Heritage Centre
Instance of:
medical museum; library
Accreditation number:
T 603
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q111983687/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Sign up to our newsletter

Follow the latest MDS developments every two months with our newsletter.

Unsubscribe any time. See our privacy notice.

Back to top