Skip to content

Filters

  • Results per page

2052 records match your search. Use the filters to refine your results. Using data FAQs.

Open filters

Sandwich Guildhall Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q42852791
Instance of:
local museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1136
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q42852791/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    Museum

    The museum was first set up in the attic of the Guildhall. Access at that time was not possible for those with disabilities. In 1980, a purpose-built museum was set up on the ground floor with professional advice and planning. The old museum in the attic was retained as an archive with a reception room for the public to visit and view the collections. Other rooms were designated for storage and a library. The reference library contained many mass-produced history books covering Sandwich and wider Kent, as well as historically significant books.

    Many of the earlier documents within the museum’s collection are housed in Maidstone History and Library Centre as part of the county archives. These are on loan and are still owned by the museum’s governing body, Sandwich Toll Bridge Fund, but were placed in care there before the museum was established.

    In 2016, the museum was awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £100,000, which allowed for it to be redesigned to have a more modern and clear approach. At the heart of this project was the returning of the 1300 Magna Carta and Charter of the Forest to Sandwich from the Kent History and Library Centre.

    The current museum tells the story of Sandwich from the Mesolithic period through to the Second World War and includes the opportunity to visit the 16th century courtroom.

    Collection

    When referring to “the collection”, this includes the entire historic collections within the Guildhall, all of which are maintained by the governing body, Sandwich Toll Bridge Fund. The first items to be accessioned from 1991 onwards included many received from Sandwich Borough Council, dated pre-1973, or from unknown sources. The first entries include:

    • Military items, some dating back to the Boer War, including medals, documentation, photographs, buttons, and badges. These also cover the First World War and Second World War and include items from the Air Raid Precaution office which was housed inside the Guildhall. These are related to local forces such as the Cinque Port Volunteers, the Sandwich Volunteer Force, and the Kent Volunteer Rifles.
    • Cinque Ports material such as ship money for Sandwich, model vessels and items related to the Lord Wardens.
    • Wax seals and brass impressions from local organisations and people including St John’s Hospital, Sir Roger Manwood’s School, Sandwich Corporation, Carmelite Friars, Port of Sandwich Customs, and the Mayor of Sandwich.
    • Items related to crime and punishment including police truncheons and several pairs of steel handcuffs, linked cuffs, and ankle cuffs.
    • Items of earthenware.
    • Balancing scales and weights, including apothecary scales, portable scales, and tradesmen’s scales. In addition, a complete set of town weights and measures, including one with the Sandwich Coat of Arms embossed on it.
    • Roman pottery, coins, bone needle and dice discovered at Richborough.
    • Tools from different trades such as watchmakers and items from Sandwich weavers.
    • Flint tools including axes and spearheads.
    • Seashells and fossils from Sandwich Bay.
    • Glass bottles from local organisations such as breweries.
    • Large collection of photographs, photographic negatives, and glass plates, including prints from William Boyer.
    • Artwork such as oil paintings, drawings, and watercolour paintings of the town and significant figures in the town throughout history.
    • Large collection of postcards showing different scenes of the town.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2023

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    Sandwich Guildhall Museum’s collection has expanded over time and now contains a large range of items. Work is currently being carried out to tackle the backlog in relation to the organisation and documentation of the collection. Although all items that are accessioned are done so into the museum’s collection, owned by Sandwich Toll Bridge Fund, it can be thought of as being in several separate categories, which will be noted in the Collections Management System in the future.

    Museum Collection (Including Archival Holdings)

    Artefacts

    Categories for these items include social history, military history, archaeology, and artwork. Key artefacts include Sandwich’s piece of a Coronation Canopy, a Henry Weigel painting of Sandwich Court Sessions, two scenes on painted panels depicting Catherine of Braganza’s visit to Sandwich and the Battle of Sole Bay, a significant collection of trading coins and tokens, and the copper-alloy Roman bowl, which is on loan to the museum. Items from this collection, specifically paintings and wall mounted objects, are displayed throughout the Guildhall building.

    Paper Collection

    Within the museum’s collection are the archival holdings specific to the collecting criteria that are likely to be used in exhibitions, this includes paper items such as posters, books, documents, maps, photographs, postcards, and cartes-de-visites. Significant items include the 1300 Magna Carta and Charter of the Forest, tithe maps for the Parish of St Mary’s and St Clements and a unique Window Tax document. A portion of this collection is held at the county archives in the Kent History and Library Centre.

    Handling Collection

    The museum has a small number of items previously used for outreach work. The museum will collect material for the handling collection and educational purposes where appropriate.

    Furniture Within the Guildhall

    The Guildhall itself is of historical interest, therefore it is likely that furniture within the building should be included within the museum’s collection and treated as such. This includes the interior of the 16th century courtroom, in particular the judges chair and the lion and dragon figures. It also includes furniture in the Mayor’s Parlour and Council Chamber, such as the Mayor’s chair, and other items throughout the Guildhall including two parliament clocks.

    Sandwich Town Council Institutional Archive

    This includes documents related to the operations of Sandwich Town Council, including minutes and reports from council meetings, housing information, and information about services within the town. These date from 1973 to the present day, when the town council was formed.

    Borough of Sandwich Archive

    Sandwich Borough Council existed until 1973 when the town was incorporated into Dover District Council and Sandwich Town Council was formed. For this reason, the collection contains a large amount of housing documents associated with the Borough of Sandwich. This collection also contains information about wartime life in Sandwich.

    Sandwich Toll Bridge Fund Institutional Archive

    As Trustee of the Sandwich Toll Bridge Fund, the council holds reports and minutes from the charity’s meetings. In the past these have been deposited into the collection. The Sandwich Toll Bridge Fund Institutional Archive has three branches, which are as follows:

    • Sandwich Toll Bridge Fund Institutional Archive
    • Sandwich Guildhall Institutional Archive (Operations)
    • Sandwich Guildhall Museum Institutional Archive (Operations)

    Reference Library

    The museum also holds a small reference library for internal and external research purposes, which contains information specific to Sandwich, areas of Kent, the twinned towns and notable people or events. These items are usually mass produced or created by the Local Historical Society. This collection also currently contains some historically significant books.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2023

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Sanquhar Tolbooth Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q113369878
Instance of:
museum; local authority museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1143
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113369878/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Dumfries and Galloway Council

Sarehole Mill

Wikidata identifier:
Q82108
Instance of:
watermill; museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
640
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q82108/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Birmingham Museums

Scalloway Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q113370217
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Accreditation number:
T 597
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113370217/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Scapa Flow Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q13446021
Also known as:
Scapa Flow Visitor Centre
Part of:
Orkney Museums
Instance of:
visitor center; naval museum; museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1303
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q13446021/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Orkney Museums

Scaplen’s Court Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q17529350
Also known as:
Scaplen's Court, High Street, Old Town House, Scaplen's Court
Part of:
Poole Museum
Instance of:
house; museum building
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q17529350/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Scarborough Art Gallery

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q29364902
Instance of:
art museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
28
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q29364902/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Fine Art Collection

    Greater part by local artists and scenes and events; also Laughton Collection, but works by Atkinson Grimshaw, H.B. Carter, Frank Mason, Ernest Dade, Lord Leighton, Ivon Hitchens, Matthew Smith, Edward Bawden and Eric Ravilious.

    There are approximately sixty portraits (in oils) in Scarborough Art Gallery’s collection. Most of these are portraits of Scarborough Mayors and MP’s, from the eighteenth and nineteenth century, which are of local significance. Highlights in the portraiture collection include four highly accomplished portraits by John Jackson, including a Self Portrait produced around 1810. We also have two miniature portraits, painted on ivory. Other interesting portraits include John Brewster Darley, 1744 by Philippe Mercier and Richard Darley, 1783 Attributed to Thomas Gainsborough.; Scarborough Art Gallery.

    Subjects

    Fine Art

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Scarborough Museums and Galleries

Wikidata identifier:
Q61930727
Also known as:
Scarborough Museums Trust
Instance of:
nonprofit organization; charitable organization
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q61930727/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Science and Industry Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q2638616
Also known as:
Museum of Science and Industry (Manchester), MSI, MOSI, Manchester Museum Of Science And Industry, Former Lower Byrom Street Warehouse, Museum of Science and Industry, The Science and Industry Museum
Instance of:
science museum; former warehouse; tourist attraction; national museum; museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
169
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q2638616/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Science Museum Group

Science Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q674773
Also known as:
The Science Museum, Science Museum, London
Instance of:
science museum; technology museum; open-access publisher; national museum; museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1674
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q674773/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Science Museum Group

Science Museum Group

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q7433571
Also known as:
Sceince Museum Group, sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk
Instance of:
museum network
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7433571/
Object records:
Yes, see object records for this museum

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The origins of the Science Museum Group go back to the 1851 Great Exhibition. Among the 7.3 million items we now care for in the collection there are:

    • 7 million items of photographic, archive and library material.
    • 150,000 medical items, including the long-term loan of the Sir Henry Wellcome’s Museum Collection.
    • 38,000 items relating to railway locomotives, technology and railway life.
    • 26,000 scientific instruments.
    • 17,000 items of photographic, cinematographic and televisual technology.
    • 7,000 artworks.

    The Science Museum Group Collection is legally constituted by the National Heritage Act 1983 as overseen by the Board of Trustees of the Science Museum, with the aim that the board will:

    • care for, preserve and add to the objects in their collections
    • (b) secure that the objects are exhibited to the public.
    • (c) secure that the objects are available to persons seeking to inspect them in connection with study or research.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    Although developed as distinct museum holdings on different sites, the Science Museum Group Collection is now increasingly understood, developed, managed and cared for as a unified whole. Without losing sight of the unique origins and history of the collection, we aim for it to be consistently searchable, accessible and interpretable online and across all our sites. It reflects the development of our holdings across six sites:

    Science Museum

    The origins of the Science Museum collection lie in the Science collections of the South Kensington Museum, founded in 1857, which later developed into the Victoria and Albert and Science Museums, formally separated in 1909. The Patent Office Museum and the Special Loan Collection of Scientific Instruments, both housed on the South Kensington site, were the foundations of the Engineering and Science collections respectively. The Science Museum became a major repository for the history of medicine with the long-term loan of the Sir Henry Wellcome’s Museum Collection in 1976. The collection is now divided by three thematic areas: Science, Technologies and Engineering, and Medicine.

    The Science Museum’s world-class library and archive collection charts the world-wide development and history of science, engineering and medicine from the fifteenth to the twentyfirst century. Original printed works include books, journals, patents, trade literature, directories and maps in English and other European languages. The archives hold original records of some of the most famous and influential individuals and companies in the fields of science, medicine, engineering and industry.

    National Railway Museum

    The NRM’s collection is Britain’s largest single body of historic railway items. It has its origins in the historic objects variously preserved by the Commissioners of Patents and individual railway companies in the mid to late 19th century. Following rail nationalisation in 1948, the British Transport Commission established a preservation policy bringing the collection together under a single owner. Two decades later, the 1968 Transport Act led to the creation of a National Railway Museum, which opened in York in 1975, with a sister museum, Locomotion, opening at Shildon in County Durham in 2004. The collection has subsequently been significantly developed to cover all areas of railway history and is housed and displayed both at NRM and Locomotion.

    Locomotion

    Locomotion is a sister museum of the National Railway Museum opened at Shildon in County Durham in 2004. Shildon is vitally important to the story of Britain’s railways, as the place where the world’s first steam-powered public railway sprang to life creating a thriving railway town. Parts of the NRM collection are housed and displayed at Locomotion.

    National Science and Media Museum

    The National Science and Media Museum in Bradford (previously the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television/National Media Museum) was opened in 1983. The Museum’s collection was established from the Science Museum’s existing photography, film and television collection (such as the W.H.F. Talbot, John Logie Baird and Louis Le Prince collections) and has grown through acquisition of whole archives or bodies of material (such as the Kodak Museum Collection or the Impressions Gallery Archive), as well as by smaller-scale commissioning, purchase and donation. In 2015 the Museum adopted a new definition of its primary areas of interest: the science, technology and culture of images and sound.

    Science and Industry Museum

    The collection was formed from 1965, when the Department of the History of Science and Technology at the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) began to acquire material. The museum opened in 1969 and was originally called the North Western Museum of Science and Industry. In 1983, the Museum moved to its current premises at the historic Liverpool Road Station, with Greater Manchester Council as its sole funder. In 1985 it added the collection of the adjacent Air and Space Museum, founded by Manchester City Council. In 2012 it joined the Science Museum Group and, as the Science and Industry Museum, documents 250 years of discoveries and innovations that began in Manchester and went on to influence the world. It tells the story of Manchester as the first industrial city, the ongoing interplay between science, industry and society in the North-West region, and its global networks. The collection is divided into three principal areas: science and technology, engineering, and industrial heritage.

    National Collections Centre

    From 2023 the NCC will be our largest storage facility for the Science Museum Group Collection. This large former airfield at Wroughton, near Swindon, was acquired in 1979 both for storage and to allow the development of collection of larger full-size objects such as aeroplanes and commercial road vehicles. The NCC focuses on efficiency, sustainability and the long-term care of objects, optimising our ability to share their stories across the Science Museum Group and with the next generation. As well as objects, the NCC is the storage facility for the Science Museum Library and Archive holdings. As above, these include rare books, 19/20th century collections and trade literature.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2021

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Scolton Manor Park

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q85437454
Also known as:
Maenordy Scolton, Scolton Manor Museum
Instance of:
historic house museum; local authority museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
1326
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q85437454/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The collections of Scolton Manor Park have been built up under various former authorities within the general framework of reflecting the history and culture of Pembrokeshire.

    The collection began in the mid-1950s; however a site for the County Museum was not established until 1970. Until 1996 the County Museum was based in Haverfordwest in the old County Gaol, with a smaller collection based at Scolton Manor from 1974. In 1996, the then Dyfed County Council was divided into three separate councils and the new Pembrokeshire County Council decided it was not possible to keep two separate museum sites. The County Collection was then transferred to its current location at Scolton Manor.

    From 1996 to 2012 the County Collection was displayed or stored in three buildings on the Scolton Manor site – the Manor House displayed social history and furniture relating to the Victorian heyday of the house, with the bulk of the County Collection in storage in the Attics; the agricultural and industrial collections were on display in the Exhibition Hall; and the estate trades were on display in the Stable Block complex.

    From 2012 the Exhibition Hall was emptied and demolished, and a new building, located elsewhere on the site and designated as the Agricultural Viewing Barn, was used to accommodate the bulk of the agricultural collection and some of the industrial collection. Also in 2012, the Carpenter’s Workshop display in the Stable Block complex was converted into a Centre for the Pembrokeshire Beekeeping Association and the carpentry collection was put into storage.

    In 2018 a new suite of three galleries was developed on the first floor of the Manor House, which will eventually house the internationally renowned Ripley Dolls House and Toy Collection, which has been bequeathed to Scolton Manor Park by the current owner. The galleries currently display collections of toys and games from the core museum collections, items on loan and new museum collections.

    In 2019 a new off-site storage facility was developed, and the reserve collection and the fine art collection were transferred for storage there. Some parts of the agricultural and industrial collections were also transferred for storage and the Viewing Barn was re-designated as a multi-use space for a variety of activities, including exhibitions. The new storage facility is shared with other PCC departments and is not solely for the storage of museum artefacts.

    In the early years of the museum’s existence there was no formal acquisition policy and the process of collecting focussed on building up a collection large enough to create an official museum for the county of Pembrokeshire. This informal approach to collecting continued for many years until a formal policy was finally adopted in 1992. Despite this approach a number of significant objects were added to the collection over the years.

    The industrial collection includes the “Margaret” locomotive acquired in 1974 and the Gwalia Stores tin shop acquired in 2001 (re-erected in the grounds in 2022). The costume collection includes the Royston-Brown collection acquired between 1969 and 1980; the Yvonne Fox “Jemima Nicholas” costume collection and archive acquired in 2010; a 1920s and 1930s Jazz Age collection mostly acquired in 1978 and 1983, with more recent additions; and a growing wedding dress collection including a dress created by Pembrokeshire textile artist Cecily Jellyman, acquired in 2016. The photographic collection includes the Tom Mathias glass plate negative collection acquired in 2002 and the Hywel Davies postcard collection acquired in 2004. The fine art collection includes the Edgar Thomas oil painting collection acquired in 1955, the Paynter watercolour collection acquired in the 1970s, the Ray Howard Jones painting collection acquired between the 1970s and the 1990s and the “Tenby Fisherwoman” oil painting by William Powell Frith acquired in 1986. The furniture collection includes a secretaire made by William Owen and a grand piano acquired in 1972, a Broadwood box piano acquired in 1987, a suite of Chippendale-style dining chairs acquired in 1990 (all furniture original to the house), an Arts and Crafts desk acquired in 1975, a half-tester bed from Bush House acquired in 1990 and a pew from Slebech Church acquired in 1994. In 2016 a large collection of assorted objects connected to Scolton House and the Higgon family were placed on long loan by the Marsh family. This collection includes original furnishings, personal objects, photographs and archival documents. This loan was renewable every 5 years but in March 2023 the collection was permanently donated to Scolton Manor Park as being the most suitable home for the collection.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: Not known

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The main collections of the museum are located at Scolton Manor Park (County Museum). They are varied and comprise archaeology, geology, natural history, fine and decorative arts, social history, costume, printed material, ephemera and photographs. The historic building known as Scolton Manor is also part of the museum collection.

    The archaeology collection includes material from Pembrokeshire, parts of Wales and other areas of the British Isles. The collection covers the period from the Upper Palaeolithic to medieval times, and includes considerable material excavated from Pembrokeshire sites, including the Neolithic site at Clegyr Boia, St. David’s and the Iron Age settlements of Walesland Rath and Castell Henllys. Non-Pembrokeshire material currently in the collection is of considerable interest for comparative and educational uses; however, additions do not need made to this area.

    The natural history and geology collections consist of local zoological and geological specimens. In addition, there is some exotic material and a very limited number of botanical holdings. The zoological material consists mainly of cased local species of birds and mammals. A number of specimens have a direct link to the history of Scolton Manor itself and the Higgon family, and add to the Victorian atmosphere of the display rooms.

    The numismatic collection of coins, medals, medallions, tokens and notes is broad based and includes some foreign material and covers the period from Roman to the present day, albeit with significant gaps. The tokens and notes are generally of local origin.

    The fine art and decorative arts collections include oil paintings, drawings, water-colours, prints, sculpture, maps, glass, ceramics, furniture, jewellery and personal ornaments. The fine art collection is broad based with a strong Pembrokeshire bias. The works reflects two centuries of artistic endeavour in the county, by both local and visiting artists. There are several notable collections including the Paynter, E.H. Thomas and the Ray Howard Jones collections. There is a large 19th century element of prints, portraits, landscapes and genre paintings, the most important being the “Tenby Fisherwoman” by W. P. Frith. The majority of this collection is now stored off-site.

    The collection of ceramics includes examples of local, Welsh and material from the rest of the British Isles.

    The furniture collection includes some fine examples of locally produced historic items. Most of the finer pieces are on display in the Victorian Manor House. They include: the secretaire made by William Owen, the Arts & Crafts desk from 1892, the suite of Chippendale-style dining chairs, a 17th century sideboard, a 16th century oak chair, the half-tester bed from Bush House, the pew from Slebech church, the box piano, the grand piano, and a hallstand from Sealyham. In addition there is also a small collection of cottage furniture including settles, dressers, chairs, cupboards, beds, etc. Some of the furniture on display in the showrooms is on long-term loan from St. Fagans National History Museum, in order to enhance the room settings; however, as the furniture collection develops the loaned items will be returned.

    A large proportion of Scolton Manor Park’s collection falls into the category of social history. This category includes social, educational, domestic, administrative, commercial, craft, agricultural, maritime and technical history material, 95% of which dates from the 19th and 20th centuries. Material includes collections of agricultural tools and machinery (there is a good representative sample of most tools/equipment used on Pembrokeshire’s farms and rural industrial crafts in the 19th and 20th centuries); a large collection of dairying artefacts; tools and materials associated with rural trades including carpentry & wheelwrighting, blacksmithing, coopering, saddlery, tinsmithing, shoemaking and clog making; fishing and maritime items (good coracle examples and an original Cleddau fishing boat); transport items (including a good railway collection, the “Margaret” locomotive and the complete Sarnau signal box); a large bottle collection and a large domestic collection including laundry, kitchen and cooking artefacts. There is a substantial trade and industry collection including the Gwalia Stores tin shop from Tufton, and a range of material from the Llewellin Churnworks, Haverfordwest; the brickworks from Goodwick and the pop works from Milford Haven. This category grows faster than any other and places a considerable demand upon resources because of the sheer volume and size of the material. The Neville Pugh trade and transport collection, including rare metal signage and collectable model railway material, was placed on loan to the museum in 2019. This collection could also become a permanent donation in time.

    The costume and textile collection dates almost entirely from the mid 19th century to the present day and features a full collection of clothing and accessories. Notable collections include the Royston-Brown collection, the Yvonne Fox collection and the Jazz Age collection. Other smaller collections are of antique lace, samplers and wedding dresses. The collection also includes carpets, household linen and a small collection of quilts.

    The military collection covers the period 1790-1950 and includes a small number of French Revolutionary War items; a small amount of Napoleonic items; a substantial Victorian and Edwardian collection; and an excellent World War II collection. Collections comprise uniforms, some equipment, some firearms and miscellaneous items such as flags, etc. In addition, the museum also administers the Pembroke Yeomanry Historical Trust collection and photographic archive.

    Scolton Manor Park has a significant collection of photographs. The collection documents the people, places, trade & industry, transport, agriculture, etc. of Pembrokeshire. Specific collections include the glass plate negative collection of Tom Mathias which illustrates life in North Pembrokeshire late 19th and early 20th centuries and the Hywel Davies postcard collection which features over 15,000 individual items. As well as objects in their own right, they are also important social history documents.

    The Higgon Marsh Collection, initially on loan to Scolton Manor Park and now a permanent gift, is a significant addition to the history of the house. It includes original furnishings and fittings; personal objects including jewellery; family silver; family portraits and other artworks; costume and textiles; a large collection of photographs; and a diverse archival collection, which includes personal family letters, diaries and ephemera. A diverse number of objects have been placed on display in the rooms, giving a personal atmosphere to the house. Other objects have featured in special exhibitions. The gift of this collection continues a tradition of keeping in close contact with the descendants of the Higgon family and assists in telling the story of the house and the family.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date:

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Scotland Street School Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q7435656
Also known as:
225 Scotland Street, School
Instance of:
education museum; museum; school building
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Recognised collection
Accreditation number:
1415
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7435656/
Collection level records:
Yes, see Glasgow Life Museums

Scotney Castle

Wikidata identifier:
Q7435720
Also known as:
Scotney Castle with courtyards and garden
Part of:
National Trust
Instance of:
historic house museum; English country house
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2202
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7435720/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Scott House Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q134889504
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Accreditation number:
T 622
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q134889504/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Scottish Crannog Centre

Wikidata identifier:
Q113391245
Also known as:
The Scottish Crannog Centre
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2367
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q113391245/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Scottish Fisheries Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q7437730
Also known as:
Anstruther Easter , Harbour Head, Scottish Fisheries Museum, Scottish Fisheries Museum, Harbour Head, Anstruther Easter
Instance of:
maritime museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Recognised collection
Accreditation number:
1262
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7437730/
Object records:
Yes, see object records for this museum

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    Our collections permit us to exhibit wonderful examples of historic fishing boats and gear. They help us to illustrate the geography and social structures of our fishing communities. They allow us to honour their ways of life, skills, customs, dress, creativity, and resilience, and to improve understanding of the various external environmental, technological, political, and commercial circumstances, which had and still continue to have such an impact upon them.

    The founding collection of the Scottish Fisheries Museum was acquired in 1967 by gift from Provost Carstairs of Anstruther who had amassed a large private collection of objects and artworks relating to the fishing industry throughout his career as a fishing agent, factory owner and public figure.

    This collection was supplemented in the museum’s early years by numerous gifts, loans and transfers from other museums, notably from National Museums Scotland and the Science Museum, and from private individuals.

    The collections have developed in both a reactive and proactive manner, with the aim, from the start, to establish a national overview of the Scottish commercial sea-fishing industry in all its aspects. The inclusion of working objects enables the Museum to support Intangible Cultural Heritage and living heritage. Owing to the location of the museum, and the historical bias of commercialised fishing activity on the east coast, the west coast is less well represented.

    The entire collection cared for by the Scottish Fisheries Museum is a Recognised Collection of National Significance, awarded by Museums Galleries Scotland on behalf of the Scottish Government.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The collection of SFM consists of over 65,000 items covering the Scottish Fishing Industry from around Scotland with a particular focus on the East coast, and comprises objects, archives, and photographs. The core of the collection comprises 19th and 20th century objects although the period of time to which the collection relates is c.500AD (Loch Doon Log Boat) – to the present day. The Collecting Area for the SFM will be defined by the geographical boundaries of Scotland

    Fine Art

    The Fine Art Collection comprises around 350 works. These include a number of important canvasses by accomplished artists such as Sam Bough, John McGhie, Franc Martin, Andrew Gamley and John Bellany. There a number of watercolours, notably the Thomas Thomson Collection and many other pieces associated with the sea and fishing communities of Scotland. Media include oils, watercolours, pen and pencil drawings, charcoal works, prints, engravings and etchings, sculpture, painted signs, embroidered wall hangings and collage.

    Fishing Vessels

    The Museum’s boat collection consists of 22 vessels used for fishing or of maritime interest in Fife:

    1. Jessie – Nineteenth Century Line Boat (ANSFM : 1993.237)
    2. Jane – Drifter’s Boat, Peterhead (ANSFM : 1993.238)
    3. Creel Boat – from Northern Isles (ANSFM : 1993.240)
    4. Reaper FR958 – restored sailing Fifie (ANSFM : 1993.241)
    5. Research LK62 – 1st Class Zulu (ANSFM : 1993.242)
    6. White Wing – restored sailing Baldie (ANSFM : 1993.243)
    7. Jim – Dysart racing yawl (ANSFM : 1993.244)
    8. Swift (Fiona) PD144 – last used as pilot boat (ANSFM : 1993.245)
    9. Light – Fifie Yawl, used for line fishing North East (ANSFM : 1993.246)
    10. Rab – Leven Beach Yawl (ANSFM : 1993.247)
    11. Swallow – replica Zulu type yawl (ANSFM : 1997.237)
    12. Log Boat – result of research project with Institute of Maritime Studies, University of St Andrews (unaccessioned)
    13. Jubilee – salmon Coble from Montrose (ANSFM : 1994.210)
    14. Lively Hope – 1930s Ringnetter (ANSFM : 1994.353)
    15. Orkney Soo Boat – built at Westray, Orkney (ANSFM : 1995.1)
    16. Fair Isle Yoal – built as a heritage project using traditional design and materials at the National Museums of Scotland (ANSFM : 2003.136)
    17. Silver Spray – Grimsay fishing boat (ANSFM : 2003.319)
    18. Quaver – Largo beach yawl built by David Gillies of the Cardy Net Factory (ANSFM : 2004.76)
    19. Newburgh salmon coble (ANSFM : 2008.51)
    20. Maggie – Scaffie (ANSFM : 2016.83)
    21. Shirley II – motor yawl built by J N Miller, St Monans (ANSFM : 2016.342)

    Model Boats

    The collection comprises 170 models of fishing vessels, builder’s half models, ships in bottles, sailing models and engines. The collection is broadly representative and includes modern fishing vessels. From necessity a number of models are on loan (approx. 10%). There is some material associated with the whaling industry and also the merchant sailing ships associated with Anstruther.

    Associated Industries

    The various industries associated with and supporting the fishing industry are well represented. SFM is particularly strong in wooden boat-building equipment, including the Smith & Hutton Collection and SFM has acquired a large number of items from the Cardy Net Factory, Lower Largo, Fife.

    Fishing Vessel Equipment

    The SFM has a good representative collection of fishing vessel equipment and is particularly strong in electronic equipment, lights, flares and navigational aids. Other areas in the collection include: engines and associated equipment, hauling gear, fish finding, navigation and communication equipment, galley equipment, safety equipment and discharging gear.

    Fishing Equipment

    The Museum has a representative collection of fishing gear and is particularly strong in nets and lines. The Museum houses part of the important Buckland Collection of salmon and eel spears. The main areas of gathering, trapping and hunting methods are well represented.

    Costume

    SFM has good collection of fisher folk costume, both working clothes and Sunday Best. The collection comprises over 1,000 items and is strong on items from the East Neuk of Fife. There are also Newhaven Fishwives Choir costumes based upon the Newhaven “Gala” dress, and an internationally significant collection of knitted ganseys.

    Social and Domestic Life

    The nature of the development of the Museum has led to a strong collection of domestic items from the fisher homes of the East Coast, including furniture, cooking utensils and decorative items. Social history and fishing personalities are well covered in the Photographic and Document Archive.

    Whaling

    The whaling and sealing collection is small but includes a number of harpoons, tools and samples from Christian Salvesen of Leith and whalebone and scrimshaw items.

    Marine Sciences

    There is an extensive collection of fish species plaster casts from the Buckland Collection, and archival holdings relating to scientific study.

    East Neuk Maritime History

    The Museum recognises a subsidiary role as the East Neuk Maritime Museum. In practice this means housing a very good collection of models, paintings and objects associated with the clipper ship activity of the area, such as Captains Keay and Rodger of Ariel and Taeping. This collection is restricted to items which can demonstrate a good connection with the contextual maritime history of the area. It includes the cannonball allegedly fired by John Paul Jones at the May Island.

    Learning Collection

    The Museum holds a small Learning Collection managed by the Learning and Engagement Officer. Acquisitions to the Learning Collection follow the due diligence standards set out in the Collections Development Policy. However, as objects are acquired for the purposes of handling and public display in the knowledge that they will deteriorate and be disposed of, they are not formally Accessioned.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Scottish Football Museum

Wikidata identifier:
Q4306509
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Recognised collection
Accreditation number:
2198
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q4306509/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Scottish Maritime Museum

(collection-level records)
Wikidata identifier:
Q7437853
Instance of:
maritime museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum; Recognised collection
Accreditation number:
291
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q7437853/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)

    The Scottish Maritime Museum was established in 1983. Our collections, however, have a much longer history, and include artefacts and archives which represent a major part of museum collecting in shipbuilding and marine engineering in Scotland.

    Our museums have contributed notable collections, either through transfer of title or long-term loan, while other important items have been gifted or purchased from the collections of specialist societies and private collectors.

    Our own collecting, begun by the strong base of knowledgeable enthusiasts who made up the West of Scotland Boat Museum Association, has successfully gathered a wide range of material in the disciplines of technology and economic and social history. Our collections fall into seven main areas.

    • Vessels
    • Marine engines & ship fittings, dock & harbour equipment
    • Shipbuilding machinery and tools
    • Archives and Photographs
    • Personal and Miscellaneous items
    • Library
    • Buildings

    The Scottish Maritime Museum is now recognised as the principal repository for material relating to Scottish maritime history and in particular shipbuilding and marine engineering. While comparable collections – with different objectives – are held by National Museums of Scotland, the Scottish Fisheries Museum and by North Lanarkshire Council at Summerlee Museum of Industrial Life, Coatbridge, our collections represent a very important aspect of Scottish history that is not handled as a specialism by any other body.

    Vessels

    We have 41 vessels in our collection, covering most types of maritime activity – work boats, leisure craft, river and ocean-going vessels and naval, fishing and lifesaving craft. All are either Scottish built and represent vessels relevant to the study of Scotland’s ship and boat building industry; or if not Scottish built are representative of Scottish maritime activity or have historically significant provenance within Scotland.

    Five of our vessels are included in the National Historic Ships list and are regarded as highly significant.

    Designated list:

    • MV Kyles Steam Cargo Coaster, 1872. Iron hulled coaster, later converted to diesel. Oldest of type afloat.
    • SY Carola Steam Yacht, 1898. Unconverted, oldest of type afloat.
    • MV Spartan Puffer, 1942. Converted to Diesel, one of two of type surviving.

    One vessel is listed but not currently designated:

    • MV Garnock Harbour Tug, 1956. A good example of small shipyard work, and is both riveted and welded.

    Five other small vessels, not eligible for the Historic Ships Register because of their size, are of similar importance.

    • Lady Guilford 12 oar galley leisure boat, 1819. A rare survivor representing 18thC methods.
    • Vagrant Racing yacht, 1884. Designed by William Fife III, oldest classified racing yacht.
    • Venus Shetland Fourareen, 1898. Built in traditional style from driftwood, converted to yacht and sailed across the Atlantic in 1960s. Last Foula built Shetland model boat in existence.
    • Katie Miniature “Zulu” fishing skiff c1935. Once common traditional design, now less than 10 surviving.
    • Dodo Sailing Dinghy, 1897. Very early example of dinghy type, innovative design and noted family association.

    Recently acquired and not yet listed or designated:

    • Powerful William Fife III designed and built yacht from 1900, one of only around 50 surviving seaworthy Fife yachts.

    Marine Engines, Ship Fittings and Equipment

    We have a good collection of marine engines ranging from the earliest developments on the Clyde to the last commercial examples (SS Chipchase, 1953). Related items include boilers of the “Scotch” and vertical boiler types, as well as associated valves, piping etc. Internal combustion engines are also well represented and though we do not have any examples of very large marine engines, the scale of these is represented by a set of casting patterns for the engines of the QE2.

    Several of our vessels also contain good examples of engine types – SY Carola (1898 Ross and Duncan twin expansion steam engine) and MV Kyles (c1945 Gardner Diesel 6L3) and Spartan (c1959 DSII Scania diesel). The engines in Spartan and Kyles are maintained in full working condition. Carola requires a new boiler to operate under steam power.

    Ship fittings are represented in a very wide collection, which ranges from pumps and steering machinery to ornate deckhouses and cabin fittings, from sails and rigging to silver plate and crested table settings. We also have a small, but important, collection of optical equipment, such as military range finders, manufactured by the Glasgow firm of Barr and Stroud.

    The collection also includes several very large items of dock and harbour machinery.

    Shipbuilding Machinery and Tools

    The closure of five Scottish shipbuilding & ship maintenance yards within three years of the establishment of the Scottish Maritime Museum resulted in a fine collection of well documented and well maintained manufacturing machinery.

    From the premises of AF Craig & Co, Henry Robb of Leith and Clydeport’s Renfrew Works we have obtained large machine tools covering most of the metal working processes in the 19th/20th C yard – planing, drilling, boring, shaping, cutting and joining, while from the Fife’s of Fairlie yard we obtained a very fine collection of specialist boatbuilding and woodworking tools.  These core collections have been augmented over the years with blacksmithing, forging, sailmaking and rigging tools, as well as by a unique collection of specialist equipment associated with hydrodynamics testing at the Denny ship model experiment tank at Dumbarton.

    We have a small collection of drawing and measuring instruments and a collection of around 100 ship plating and framing models.

    Archive and Photographs

    The archive collections fall into three main categories. Business archive material is dominated by the business and technical records of the Denny ship model test tank at Dumbarton, which covers the period from its establishment in 1883 to its closure in 1984. Associated with this are a collection of record photographs & photographic and archive material from the Thornycroft Tank at Bembridge. We also have a number of smaller business archives including those of William Fife & Sons of Fairlie and Irvine Dockyard.

    The remainder of the archive group consists of personal material – work papers and indentures, memoirs, passenger diaries, trades union material and letters, and shipping line material – promotional booklets, posters, timetables, tickets, and bills.

    Our photographic collection is small but wide ranging, consisting mainly of the donated collections of private individuals, supplemented with photographic references which have accompanied archive and object donations and documentary photographs recording the position and function of large acquisitions and general recording and fieldwork photographs. A significant collection is that of Robert Paterson, showing Clyde shipping from the mid-1800s to the end of the Second World War.

    Art

    From 2013 to 2019 the Scottish Maritime Museum was recipient of a Heritage Lottery Fund “Collecting Cultures” grant to acquire Scottish maritime art. Previously the Art collection was extremely small and of limited importance, but since the conclusion of the project has added an excellent core collection of some 80 works of paintings, sculpture, and photography.

    Library

    We have in excess of 4500 volumes and 500+ annual volumes and bound periodicals. This operates as a broad ranging specialist library with the dominant subjects being Scottish maritime history, naval and company histories, campaign histories and technical works on shipbuilding and seamanship. The stock is mostly recent or published in the last 75 years. The Denny Tank archive holds a quantity of published material which may have value for other research purposes, but which will remain at Dumbarton as part of the collection there.

    It should be noted that the library does not fall into the same category of collection as the other collection categories. Library items are catalogued in a Dewey decimal system, and do not require accessioning or deaccessioning in the same way as the museum collections.

    Buildings

    The Scottish Maritime Museum’s collections are housed in two historic buildings and are themselves included in the list of collection items. The grade ‘A’ listed Linthouse building in Irvine originally stood in the Linthouse shipbuilding yard of Alexander Stephen and Sons Ltd, Glasgow. The Linthouse Engine Shop was originally built in 1872 and is an early example of a cast-iron-framed engineering works of a type that became standard for almost 30 years. The building passed into the hands of the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders group in the 1960s before going into liquidation in 1976. The building was dismantled in the Linthouse yard in 1988, but the Engine Shop was saved after the new owner donated it to the Museum. It was re-built in Irvine in 1991 with its original stanchions and timbers, although replacement bricks were used.

    The Denny Ship Model Experiment Tank was built in 1882. It is one of the last reminders of the shipyard of the innovative and famous company William Denny and Brothers. The tank was built to evaluate ship hull designs and retains many original features including a water tank, which was used for testing models of hulls and propellers to see how their full-sized equivalents would behave.

    At both sites, the Category ‘A’ listed buildings are themselves significant and the Museum continues to preserve and maintain these buildings.

    Personal and Miscellaneous

    We have a small collection of personal items, costume (mercantile and naval uniforms, yachting and leisure wear, protective clothing), trophies and awards, medals and commemorative items and sailors’ charity items.  The Museum has only recently had the facilities to store and display an art collection, so our collection of prints and paintings is very small, however in future we would like to increase this area of our collection.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2024

    Licence: CC BY-NC

The Scout Association

Wikidata identifier:
Q61800001
Also known as:
Scouts; Scouts Heritage Service; Scouts Heritage Collection
Instance of:
heritage collection; archive; museum
Accreditation number:
T 337
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q61800001/
Collection level records:
Not yet. If you represent this organisation and can provide collection-level information, please contact us.

Sign up to our newsletter

Follow the latest MDS developments every two months with our newsletter.

Unsubscribe any time. See our privacy notice.

Back to top