Skip to content
Wikidata identifier:
Q12064946
Also known as:
Orleans House
Instance of:
art museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
104
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q12064946/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection overview (Cornucopia)

    Fine Art Collection

    About 2,100 easel paintings, prints and works on paper, most connected in some way with the topographical and social history of the London Borough of Richmond-upon-Thames. The collection is particularly rich in 18th and 19th century works and is actively seeking acquisitions which are earlier or more recent than this date range. Artists represented include Peter Tillemans, Thomas Rowlandson, George Hilditch, Philip Connard and Peter Poyser The collection comprises material acquired directly by the borough, plus two bequests and a collection of material relating to Sir Richard Burton, the explorer, which is on long-term loan from LB Southwark. See also Ionides Collection, Paton Collection and Burton Collection for details of these.

    Paton Collection

    About 1,200 paintings, prints, works on paper and photographs bequeathed to the Gallery by Leslie Paton, a local historian who collected images of the areas in which he had lived. Part of the collection is not specific to LB Richmond, but the bequest also acts as a record of his work as a collector.

    Burton Collection

    Fourteen oil or watercolour paintings, 30 “relics” plus photographs and written records belonging to or relevant to Sir Richard and Lady Burton. he was an explorer who died in Mortlake (within LB Richmond) and is buried there. The collection is on long-term loan from LB Southwark.

    Ionides Collection

    Topographical oil paintings, prints and works on paper (464 items), bequeathed by Mrs Nelly Ionides in 1962. Most of the pictures are views of Richmond Hill and Twickenham dating from the 18th and 19th centuries, including an early view of Richmond Hill about 1720 attributed to Leonard Knyff, Pope’s Villa, about 1760 by Samuel Scott and drawings by Joseph Farrington and Peter de Wint.

    Source: Cornucopia

    Date: Not known, but before 2015

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Sign up to our newsletter

Follow the latest MDS developments every two months with our newsletter.

Unsubscribe any time. See our privacy notice.

Back to top