- Wikidata identifier:
- Q29159363
- Instance of:
- museum; local authority museum
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 910
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q29159363/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection history (Collection development policy)
The building now known as Lowewood Museum began as a private family home that dates back to the 1760s. It was occupied by one family for a number of years. When that last family member died, it was bought by Douglas Day Taylor in 1936 who donated it to Hoddesdon Town Council, to be used as a library and museum in memory of his wife. A library opened in 1937. In 1946 a Mr Whitley gave his collection of objects to the library, and this formed the basis of the museum.
With local government changes in 1974, Broxbourne Council came into being and became the new owners of Lowewood. They continued to run the library service and the librarian also became a curator. When the Librarian passed away in 1976, the Hoddesdon Society were concerned about the future of the museum collections, particularly as there were plans to move the library into its own premises and talk of turning Lowewood into offices.
At a meeting of the Council with the Hoddesdon Society, the society offered to sort through and catalogue the collection. Patricia Braham made a start on this and was later joined by Eve Petter. Dinah Atkinson later joined and ‘The Three Ladies of Lowewood’ began the task of going through the collection.
In 1977 the library moved out of Lowewood to its new home and the museum collection remained. It took five years for the museum collection to be officially opened to the public. It has been in operation and admission free since 1982.
In 1987, A group of committed and enthusiastic local people formed The Friends of Lowewood Museum to advocate for and support the museum. Over the years they have helped to fund a number of important purchases for the museum including acquisitions to the collections and equipment.
From 2012 to 2019 the museum was managed by Epping Forest District Council on behalf of the Borough of Broxbourne. They did much work to bring the community into the museum and taking the museum out into the community, making the collections more accessible. A team of staff and volunteers were employed to run the museum service.
Epping Forest District Council gave notice in June 2019 that they would be ending the Service Level Agreement in June 2020. Attempts to find a new model of delivering the museum service initially proved fruitless and it appeared in late 2019 that the museum might have to close indefinitely, leading to a public campaign to keep the museum open.
Further negotiations in early 2020 saw Broxbourne Borough Council and the Friends of Lowewood agree to the creation of a new Lowewood Museum Trust CIO. The Trust received charitable status in January 2021 and nine trustees have been appointed. Over 40 volunteers were recruited from Spring 2021, and they support the trustees with various responsibilities including front of house and collections work. The museum re-opened under the management of the Trust in July 2021.
The collection remains in the ownership of Broxbourne Borough Council. The Trust will be responsible for the safe storage and security of the collection. The professional judgement of the Trusts’ staff, as per the Museum Association’s professional guidelines, will be used in determining future acquisitions, disposals and loans. All disposals will be agreed with the Council.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2022
Licence: CC BY-NC
-
Collection overview (Collection development policy)
The museum holds material relating to the culture and history of the Borough of Broxbourne. Formed in 1974 by the merging of the former Cheshunt and Hoddesdon Urban District, the Borough of Broxbourne covers 20 square miles and includes the towns and villages of Cheshunt, Broxbourne, Goffs Oak, Hoddesdon, Turnford, Waltham Cross and Wormley.
Since the museum was formed, the collections have developed mostly through donations from local residents, including local historians, private collectors and the descendants of significant local families. The collection also includes former collections from Hoddesdon Clock Tower and Cheshunt Public Library.
For collecting purposes, the material held may be divided into eight subject areas:
1. Natural Sciences
Lowewood Museum’s Natural History collection comprises of a small number of taxidermy specimens including items associated with the Meux family of Theobalds Park (including a tiger and leopard).
There is a small collection of minerals and fossils collected from the local area.
2. Archaeology
Lowewood’s archaeological collections provide evidence of human settlement and activity from the Palaeolithic period onwards. Site and finds of particular interest include Theobalds Palace (Cedars Park) and Cheshunt Park Farm.
The present collections represent finds made locally both actively (by excavation or other fieldwork) and passively (by casual find) ranging in date from Palaeolithic to Post Medieval. It also includes archives of archaeological projects.
3. Social and Industrial History
The museum’s social and industrial history collections reflect the changing nature of the borough.
Collections include paper collections (receipts, orders and account books and ledgers, certificates, invoices, advertising literature, maps and plans etc), archives (particularly of local families like the Warner family) costume, equipment and tools, products made and used locally and personal items belonging to local people.
4. Fine and Decorative Arts
The museum has a fine collection of James Ward (1769 –1859) paintings and drawings. He spent the last 25 years of his life in Cheshunt.
There is also a collection of other 2d artworks, both historic and contemporary –from local artists. This includes oils, watercolours and pencil drawings. Significant collections include those from local artists Ethel Warner and Charles Whitley.
There is a collection of decorative art material associate with the area, including four carved elm wood swans, various sculptures and busts, glassware and furniture.
5. Photography and film
The photography collection accounts for the largest of all the collection areas. It consists of 19th and 20th century photographs (black and white and colour) from the Hertfordshire Mercury, and those given by individuals.
The museum contains many negatives and slides (some are duplicates of the prints) and film reel of local places, events and people.
6. Paper based items
The paper-based items, both printed and handwritten, including books, documents (such as letters, receipts, calendars, posters, diaries, school exercise books) and maps and plans covering a wide variety of topics relating to life in the Borough.
There is a separate collection of reference/mass produced books which have previously been accessioned, but these are in the process of being deaccessioned and will be retained by the museum in a reference library capacity, rather than as collections items.
7. Costume
The museum has a small collection of costume from various periods, of men, women and children, including military and working costume and wedding outfits.
8. Oral History
The museum has a collection of around 80 oral history recordings, all recorded on audio cassette. These relate to people who have lived in the Borough and their experiences and memories of life, including work, education, the war and social events. These have yet to be transcribed or digitised.
Handling
The museum has a very small collection of handling items that are not accessioned. These are purely for handling purposes, for example learning, reminiscence, and events.
Source: Collection development policy
Date: 2022
Licence: CC BY-NC