- Wikidata identifier:
- Q55120586
- Also known as:
- Uxbridge Library, Hillingdon Local Studies, Archives and Museum
- Instance of:
- public library
- Museum/collection status:
- Accredited museum
- Accreditation number:
- 1498
- Persistent shareable link for this record:
- https://museumdata.uk/museums/q55120586/
Collection-level records:
-
Collection overview (Cornucopia)
Local History Museum Collection
Local studies and museum collections were first established in 1923 when a small library opened in Uxbridge. The objects collected were intended to form the basis for a future museum. From 1940 a local history display was provided and known as the Hamson Museum after H T Hamson, editor of the local newspaper and chairman of the library committee, to commemorate his commitment to developing local collections. This was closed down when the new Uxbridge Library opened in 1986 and the bulk of the collections have remained in store since then though temporary exhibitions are held from time to time. The museum collection comprises about 2,000 objects. It has good collections of domestic items, topographical prints, drawings and paintings. There are also collections relating to the Uxbridge and Harmondsworth Voluntary Fire Brigades, the Middlesex Yeomanry regiment, plus fire marks, christening robes and woodworking tools. There is also a small teaching collection of unprovenanced material, mainly Victorian and 1930s-40s items.
Source: Cornucopia
Date: Not known, but before 2015
Licence: CC BY-NC