Skip to content
Wikidata identifier:
Q62557109
Also known as:
Grace Darling Museum
Instance of:
museum; independent museum
Museum/collection status:
Accredited museum
Accreditation number:
2301
Persistent shareable link for this record:
https://museumdata.uk/museums/q62557109/

Collection-level records:

  • Collection history (Collection development policy)

    The Museum first opened its doors in 1938, a century after the rescue, mainly to build a home for the coble, which was gifted to the RNLI in 1913. In order to properly tell the story, the RNLI started actively collecting throughout the 1930s. The core of the collection was built in those early days.

    In the beginning, the focus was on objects connected to the Darling family and the SS Forfarshire, and later shifted to include memorabilia produced to commemorate Grace. In recent years, this has included objects produced by the RNLI to sell in its museum shop.

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2019

    Licence: CC BY-NC

  • Collection overview (Collection development policy)
    • Coble fishing boat used in the rescue (on the National Register of Historic Vessels)
    • William Darling’s RNLI Medal
    • Paintings, prints, works on paper
    • Sculpture
    • Clothing and textiles
    • Letters and personal memorabilia
    • Documents on early lighthouses in the region
    • SS Forfarshire items
    • Souvenirs and memorabilia
    • Family gravestone

    Total of 1142 objects (June 2019)

    Source: Collection development policy

    Date: 2019

    Licence: CC BY-NC

Sign up to our newsletter

Follow the latest MDS developments every two months with our newsletter.

Unsubscribe any time. See our privacy notice.

Back to top